The Emm.

EK took the UK. Now It's up to me to finish the job.

Friday, November 10, 2006

In London's fields, THESE poppies BLOW

Well I am off to Northampton this evening to see my fellow STA friend Katie in a show called "Follies." Will report tomorrow how that goes down. Until then, tomorrow is November 11th so I hope everyone has been wearing their poppies.

I have a beef though.

Last year I discovered that British poppies are craaaaaaaaaaaap. They are made of construction paper and after one day of wearing them they curl up into a little ball so it looks like you are wearing something your 4 year old son made when he was drunk off of glue.

I was so desperate for some red velvety poppies this year that I brought my own from home. They also provide them at the Canada store in Covent Garden if you want to support the Canadian Legion. I have chosen to support both. I have taken the liberty of snapping a few shots to show everyone the difference:


So which do you prefer? Poppy A (Canadian)

Or Poppy B (British)


In fairness to the Brits, there are likely cost issues that I am not aware of and Poppy A falls off every time you are shoveling your sidewalk, drinking a cold beer, or beating your baby seals.

18 Comments:

  • At 3:44 PM, November 10, 2006, Blogger Emm said…

    This may be dumb, but anyone know what countries actually do honour Remembrance Day?

     
  • At 3:54 PM, November 10, 2006, Blogger Emm said…

    America? No?

     
  • At 4:08 PM, November 10, 2006, Blogger El Oso said…

    Not really. The Yanks have Veterans Day. But it is not widely acknowledged. No poppies. No holiday for me. Although I know the Third Circuit Court of Appeals is closed today.

     
  • At 4:11 PM, November 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just did some teacher research and I found that American's celebrate Remembrance Day but they call it Veteran's Day. Now that I am in teacher's collge, I am just full of useful information and facts! What else do you want to learn about?

     
  • At 4:12 PM, November 10, 2006, Blogger Crazy Blogger Lady said…

    Firstly, is this a contest and are there prizes. Some blogs give prizes.

    Secondly, no contest! Canada all the way!

    Do I win?

    Thirdly, the US does not have November 11th Remembrance Day, they have Veteran's Day and they don't wear poppies. We went to a medical meeting in the US one year in the first week or so of November and we were wearing the beautiful Canadian red poppies and everyone in the US asked what they were.

    I would assume all the Commonwealth countries celebrate it. It is actually the day and time of the signing of the armistice in the first world war which is why the US changed it to Veterans Day so they would be remembering those who served in all wars.

    As Darbara would say, ain't no flies!

     
  • At 4:14 PM, November 10, 2006, Blogger Crazy Blogger Lady said…

    As I was writing my missive, there must have been some flies that I didn't notice. Gotta type faster!

     
  • At 4:25 PM, November 10, 2006, Blogger Emm said…

    Sorry folks, this is just an opinion poll. But there will be more prizes to be won in the future. (Prize shopping for the no bats in alberta contest was really fun!) Stay tuned.

     
  • At 2:20 AM, November 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Uh....I have a confession. I did not get a poppy this year because I never carry change and I feel like a cheap bastard taking a poppy from the tray and not leaving a donation. So this year, whenever I have seen the poppy people, I have avoided eye contact, and in worse case scenarios, ran the other way, utterly ashamed.

     
  • At 2:21 AM, November 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Although, now that I see the british one's are crap, maybe I could make one for myself...

     
  • At 11:52 AM, November 11, 2006, Blogger J-dana said…

    Hey dude, get this:
    a) There is a competition for the red poppy...the white peace poppy and it has recently been causing this big stink o'er here in E-town(possibly across Canada-my bubble is small). The Royal Canadian Legion, supports the idea of 'peace', but does not support the use of their copyrighted poppy.
    b) Recently brought to the public's attention is the frequency of poppy donation boxes stolen...after a surveillance video of some guy snatching one in E-town, was released. Apparently Cow Town is worse with 62 boxes stolen as opposed to Ed's 10. Messed eh.
    c) I agree with Alberta Bound...Canada all the way

     
  • At 12:11 PM, November 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WOW. I can't believe people actually steal the poppy boxes. That is seriously sad. Ok, so the Emm is totally right and the Brit poppies are pretty ugly. They crumple exactly as she described and then it kind of embarrasing cause it looks like you weren't respecting your poppy. AND they also fall off every five minutes which I have finally just realized at this point in my life that that happens ON PURPOSE so you have to keep buying more. I went through four this season so I am glad that the day is finally here. Yesterday when I bought my last one I told the lady it was my fourth and she said, "yes, of course, you usually have to buy a half dozen each year." SNEAKY!

     
  • At 5:57 PM, November 11, 2006, Blogger Emm said…

    Who knew the poppies were so scandalous!?!?!? Well done everyone!!

    I slept through the 11 am silence. I'm gonna respect the Alberta one instead. Or maybe the Onterrible one, or the BC one - whichever one I remember.

     
  • At 6:05 PM, November 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So it appears that 4 poppies per season is just about average in this fam. The sad part here is that you have to go to the liquor store to get them because all of the vets are dead or crippled. Maybe they should start recruiting the children of the vets to stand in the malls, perhaps with Uzi's to avoid the theft thing. Just a thought.

     
  • At 12:16 AM, November 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Um... poppy freaking B.
    My new comp reads your blog!!!! AAAHHHH! Yeah Sony!!

     
  • At 12:50 AM, November 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Any chance you could update the blog Emm? It is a bit tired. On the other hand we had a win/lose situation here with the Leafs and Argos. Can't wait for the big NFL game tonight. Two cute QB's with winning seasons. Does it get any better?

     
  • At 2:35 AM, November 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Since you seem to love poppies so much even on November 12, I suggest that you scan the comments on the SS blog under the "seeing red" part. There is a Bart story that you will love. Family secret now.

     
  • At 4:30 AM, November 13, 2006, Blogger Kelly said…

    Yeah I can remember how brutal coping with the British poppy luckily you could bring the real ones home.

    Ummmm so I am out of touch with my British accents. When I talked to Mattsky last night I actually couldn't understand him at first. Funny.

     
  • At 4:23 PM, November 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have both the beautiful Poppy A and a Poppy C, which happens to be a large 6 inch in diameter paper poppy that sticks on the inside of you car window. I also have Poppy D, which is part of my license plates. Between A & B, A all the way...

    Sorry, I didn't get to post earlier, but I was a little busy parading! ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home