The Emm.

EK took the UK. Now It's up to me to finish the job.

Monday, May 14, 2007

Popcorn Lung.

This is a true story.



Members of the American National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health recently investigated a few microwave popcorn plants in the US. Federal investigators traced the appearance of a chemical called Diacetyl.

Diacetyl is found in many things we eat and drink: beer, wine, vinegar. But industrial flavor manufacturers synthesize the chemical in much greater quantities. And it can become airborne in popcorn factories when it's mixed with hot oil or sprayed on kernels of corn to give them that buttery flavor.

This chemical has caused a massive increase in lung cancer for workers of the popcorn factories. They call it "popcorn lung".

So basically STOP EATING MICROWAVE POPCORN.

This has been The Emm on "crap!"

5 Comments:

  • At 12:42 PM, May 14, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We are going to pretend that this post never happened.

     
  • At 3:54 PM, May 14, 2007, Blogger Red Leader said…

    I heard the same thing EXCEPT the take away message was - don't WORK at a popcorn making factory.

     
  • At 5:08 PM, May 14, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    K thats what I was thinking too Red Leader.
    I mean, Im sure in moderation popcorn would be fine. I sure hope so! Seems like everything gives you cancer now adays. Cellphones, popcorn, burnt toast, even cigarettes and tanning.

    -Juju

     
  • At 5:34 PM, May 14, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    CBL here. But movie popcorn is NOT microwave popcorn. We're safe!

    Except from trans fats, of course!

     
  • At 9:16 PM, May 14, 2007, Blogger Kelly said…

    Juju you mean that I should try to avoid eating popcorn for lunch after I get back from my tanning session? Oh Emm, I tried to call you on my mobile but burnt my hand while lighting up.

    Okay so that wasn't funny at all. I have had a super busy-slash-minorly-intense day and felt the need to comment after I was yelled at this weekend for not having known about JBooks in the MTL Times.

    ONLY FOUR MORE SLEEPS UNTIL I AM BACK IN L-DIGGITY.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home