The Emm.

EK took the UK. Now It's up to me to finish the job.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Another Saturday Adventure with the BF

That's right, folks! Another great day with Chrissy Martin!



JB of Norwich and I headed to Leicester (pronounced Lester) for a Norwich City away match on Saturday. This would be The Emm's last game of the season and so she was hoping for a good one! She had on her Martin jersey, her Green and Yellow scarf, and her Green and Yellow gloves!

Now, the way AWAY games work in football is that all of the AWAY supporters sit together in the home team's stadium. (I think this is a brilliant idea and think it would also be a really fun thing to try in hockey, although it would never be possible!) There were about 1500 Norwich supporters in Leicester which was a great turn out. JBofN and I got there nice and early and it was general seating so we got the best seats! JBofN's attitude towards Canaries games is the same as mine to Oilers - get there hours before the game so that parking isn't stressful for mom, we can get our Boston Pizza without a line-up, then grab a tea and cookie before the warm-up and talk about how cute everyone is and why Hemsky got a haircut - or something like that.

As warm-up was taking place and I was watching Chrissy and his friends pass the ball around, the most horrible thing in the whole world happened....

The News of the World Cheerleaders showed up.




Now, cheerleading isn't a common thing in professional football but every now and then those damn News of the World Cheerleaders show up and distract the football fans. These girls were HILARIOUS. They walked onto the centre of the pitch, pressed play on their ghetto blaster and danced to "Everybody dance now" or something like that. They did what can only be described as an embarrasing attempt of a routine. They were all off time and some were more into it than others. I've seen better dancing from AB Bound. Having said that, AB Bound is a great dancer, so maybe that's not a fair comparison! These were no Pussycat Dolls either.

Anyways, as these News of the World Cheerleaders were dancing at centre field, JBofN was cringing in shame that his sport of choice had sunken so low. Meanwhile, I was hawk-eyeing Chrissy who happened to be the closest Norwich player to the girls. Chrissy got in about 5 or 6 quick glances while he was passing a ball with a teammate. Such a disappointment! I've forgiven him though.

The match itself was great. We were down 1 nil after one minute of play (that wasn't so great) but played well the whole game. We then brought out our star player with 20 minutes left who had been injured since January and this was his first game back. He got a standing ovation, and a few minutes later scored on a penalty kick. He celebration after the goal looked a little like this...





After it was tied 1-1, we Norwich fans sang our hearts out and we made it 2-1 and won the game!

Another highlight of the match was when the Canaries owner, Delia Smith, came to sit with the fans. Hopefully you remember a previous posting on The Emm of Delia running onto the pitch at half time, drunk, trying to get her team into it! (If not, youtube Delia Smith. Its priceless!)

So another great day of football.

This has been The Emm on cheerleading.

6 Comments:

  • At 3:49 PM, April 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Now that was a good story. And it had cars.

    AB on a travel day.

     
  • At 5:48 PM, April 15, 2007, Blogger El Oso said…

    C&C Music Factory were a seriously underappreciated band.

    For some reason News of the World made me think of this (from So I Married an Axe Murderer):

    Charlie Mackenzie: Hey Mom, I find it interesting that you refer to the Weekly World News as, "The paper." The paper contains facts.

    May Mackenzie: This paper contains facts. And this paper has the eighth highest circulation in the whole wide world. Right? Plenty of facts. "Pregnant man gives birth." That's a fact.

     
  • At 6:12 PM, April 15, 2007, Blogger Crazy Blogger Lady's Sister said…

    I think that it is really mean and insensitive to make fun of cheerleaders. As most of you know I was a cheerleader in grade eleven. I wore a very short jumper that was green and we had gold underpants that flashed when we jumped and twirled and bent over to clap our pompoms. Trying out for cheerleading is very hard. You have to be able to do the splits and I practiced very hard for this and I am still suffering the damages. We did not dance but we sang songs and spelled out the team name correctly and encouraged the fans to sing along and help the team win. You had to be perky to be a cheerleader then and you did not have to have cleavage or a six pack. These conditions allowed me to be a good cheerleader. We are not all bad and stupid and blonde...well at least we are not all blonde. PS My sister was not a cheerleader. She is too crazy.

     
  • At 8:03 PM, April 15, 2007, Blogger Emm said…

    CBLS - Please! This is a family blog! No nudity!

    Also, I would like to thank Kate Middleton for breaking up with Prince Will the EXACT SAME DAY I gave her a shout out. WTF!!! Kate! You're making me look bad!

     
  • At 8:05 PM, April 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    CBL here. I'm afraid you have chosen another sensitive subject. No comment.

     
  • At 8:08 PM, April 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    AB again. Been mulling over the dancing reference. Good recovery, Emm.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home