The Emm.

EK took the UK. Now It's up to me to finish the job.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Message from Emma's sister Jenna



It is with extreme sorrow that I write this post to let everyone know that my beloved sister was killed in a car accident on Monday, May 21st, 2007, just outside of London. I am sorry to deliver the news in this way if you are hearing this for the first time but as everyone who knew her knows, Emma had friends all over the world and it is difficult to know how to get in contact with everyone.

Our family and her friends are all devastated but we are so grateful for the time we had with her. She was a star in every way and gave so much to everyone she met. She was beautiful and funny and caring and sensitive and a million other things.

We are most likely having the service for her on Wednesday, May 30th in St. Albert, Alberta, Canada. This is also Emma's birthday. Please contact me or my family if you would like details or would like to attend.

As an aside, Emma loved entertaining everyone and sharing her life on this blog and so thank you everyone who took part in it. She put a lot into it and it was nice that her friends and family gave her so much in return.

Please feel free to comment or share your thoughts if you wish.

Love to everyone,

Jenna and the Bailey family.

56 Comments:

  • At 10:51 PM, May 23, 2007, Blogger Rick said…

    the emm would be proud of your posting!
    My thoughts are with everyone who knew the emm!

     
  • At 10:55 PM, May 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know that Emm would want comments cause she was always so happy when the blog was active and she was peaking everyone's interest. This was just one of the million ways that she put others before herself and always tried to make everyone happy. She was my best friend in the whole world and I loved her so dearly. She was a part of me in more ways than I will ever know. I feel so blessed that we shared so many things and that I could have such a special person in my life. I will miss her more than I am capable of bearing but she was my spirit and now I will be hers and try and live my life to the fullest because i know thats what she would have wanted. Emma loved people and she loved life and I hope that everyone will try and remember her by living life to the fullest and always finding time to laugh.

    Jbooks on the Emm. xo

     
  • At 11:37 PM, May 23, 2007, Blogger Rick said…

    i think the em would be so pleased to have her blog carried on! as J - Books said it was just one of the many things that made up who she was.

     
  • At 11:38 PM, May 23, 2007, Blogger Rick said…

    I remember many a day i would meet her in starbucks and her first words would be "did you see how many comments i got" or... "did you see my posting" i would be like "yeah" she would respond "RICK...COMMENT"

     
  • At 12:14 AM, May 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Emm was very pleased to know that her blog was one of 3 on the websites I have to check everyday! I truly felt apart of her life even so far away hearing all her stories and posts. Emma was a dear friend to me and I will miss her everyday. Ever day since the accident I can hear her crazy-screaming laugh in my head all day. That laugh that made everyone around her crack a smile.

    Jenna~She talked about her whole family so much to all of us girls. You were a huge part of her life.

    Thank you for continuing Emma's blog- she would be so proud.

    Love Always, Juju (Nikki)

     
  • At 12:42 AM, May 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Emma touched my life and I am a better person for knowing her and having that opportunity. My sincerest sympathy goes out to the Bailey family and my thoughts are with you.

     
  • At 1:04 AM, May 24, 2007, Blogger Craig Walker said…

    I had the immense pleasure of teaching Emma in the Department of Drama at Queen's for four years. She was a such delightful, vivacious, funny, warm and generous person that it was inevitable that when she graduated she would leave something of a vacuum behind her. But she had the knack of putting herself into her blog and her emails in a way that always made me laugh in the same way as she could in person. I'll miss her very much indeed.

     
  • At 1:07 AM, May 24, 2007, Blogger Red Leader said…

    jbooks - I could not have said it better.

    The Bailey Family home #780-458-8420. Kate's cell phone 780-231-7430.

    The Emm - I love you and will miss you always.

    Red Leader

     
  • At 1:21 AM, May 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Indeed, Emma was a star, she will keep us smiling for years to come :) We were all blessed to have known her and to have memories to cherish forever. My love goes out to the Bailey family...

    Nes xxoo

     
  • At 2:25 AM, May 24, 2007, Blogger Carrie and the Brindle said…

    I don't know what to say. I'm shocked, and unbelievably sad. Emm left such amazing memories in my life and I will miss her adventures.

    My heartfelt sympathies go out to the entire Bailey family. Emm will be so very missed.

     
  • At 2:29 AM, May 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A highlight of my day was to get my daily dose of The Emm. I will miss it and her. My condolences to the Bailey clan. She was truly a kindred spirit.

    Sarah

     
  • At 3:07 AM, May 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Jenna
    Emma would be so proud of you, as always. Your tribute is perfect in every way. Emma was indeed a star, and she will always shine brightly in our memories as a sweet, funny, angel on earth. How I would dearly love to give her roses and one final standing ovation. She was well and truly loved and she will always be missed.
    Thank you, Emma. You were a gift to everyone who knew you.
    Love forever,
    Your adoring aunt, Ann Louise xoxo

     
  • At 4:20 AM, May 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Emma,
    You were one of the most giving, loving people I have ever met. Luke and I loved you to pieces and always looked forward to hearing you laugh and in turn making us laugh. You will be forever missed and will always have a place in our hearts.
    Love,
    Anita & Luke

     
  • At 8:22 AM, May 24, 2007, Blogger Rick said…

    Please everyone check out her facebook forum. I have posted some aswesome pix of her in rehearsal for the show she wrote with me and Tash.
    I am so sad you are not going to be able to share this with us em!!xxxxxx

     
  • At 9:37 AM, May 24, 2007, Blogger Jason Kitcat said…

    I only met Emma a couple of times through Jenna but I have warm memories of those times. She was charming and funny - I particularly remember joking with her when I walked her to Brighton station on one of her first nights in the UK.

    What a sad loss for us all. I can't express enough my sympathies and warm wishes to her family especially Jenn - I wish I could hug you all.

     
  • At 10:45 AM, May 24, 2007, Blogger Jonathan B said…

    Dear Everyone,
    I remember the first time I had the audacity to comment on Emm's blog. I drank about three bottles of wine and prepped myself to boldly comment on Ryan Smyth's trade on February 27th. At three in the morning I finaly posted my thoughts. I knew how much of a tightrope I was walking, as I had been with the Emm the moment she found out about the trade, and was very aware how momentous this deal was. I also knew how popular the blog was, and so I really didn't want to get it wrong.
    I called Emm about 150 times the next day to ask if she liked it, confirm that fact and then reconfirm. She loved doing this Blog, and put so much into it as J-Books said. I would often watch her at her computer with her 'concentration' expression, hitting the keys with satisfaction as she concocted a new funny idea. If she got it really spot-on she'd laugh to herself and say, somewhat surprised, "I'm funny!"
    I love the emm with all my heart. Her life revolved around her family and her friends. She cared about others so much. She even went as far as putting my foot-xray appointment in her diary.
    She taught me so much and lived with true joy and openness. I miss you Emm, and I love you.

     
  • At 10:47 AM, May 24, 2007, Blogger Jonathan B said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 10:50 AM, May 24, 2007, Blogger Jonathan B said…

    That Deleted comment above was me, I posted my comment twice! Emm would have laughed at me for being too oldfashioned to use a computer.

     
  • At 10:56 AM, May 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ah Emm, what can I say. You are so special in so many ways, beautiful, smart, ridiculously funny and insanely talented. I have been so lucky to spend a massive amount of time with you over the last 2 years and I'm so grateful for that but it makes the loss even more acute. I love you and will miss you every single day. The in-jokes will never stop. Fact.

     
  • At 12:01 PM, May 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Jenna, Edgar & Family
    We only met Emma a few times in Brighton but remember her as a funny girl with a very sunny smile: a hallmark of the Baileys, I guess!
    We are geographically distant now, but also very close to all of you to share the pain.
    I am sure the memory of her sunny smile will help us to keep on enjoing life and friendship.
    Andrea & Judita

     
  • At 12:01 PM, May 24, 2007, Blogger Kelly said…

    So it's taken me a little bit to work up the courage to comment. Part of me thinks that it might be because in some insane way I am still waiting to wake up from this nightmare (no matter how cruel of a joke it would be Jenna!) The other part of me has been avoiding it because there are no words to describe my thoughts and feelings. No understanding of how I am still here and meant to go on without her.

    What do you say about the single greastest person you have ever met? What do you say about the only person that can keep you going some days? How do you explain how you feel about your very best friend (and hetero life partner) being gone and how you can't even dream to live one day without her? What do you say knowing that your best friend saved your life?

    I had the incredible fortune of spending the last weekend with the Emm. I don't know who I said it to, but if there were a top ten list of things that I wanted to do with the Emm before I had to say goodbye, I am happy to say that we did it.

    Highlights included:

    -uncontrable laughter (4-3-2-MUCH)
    -watching (yes watching even in Wales) the Sens win the Eastern Conference
    -BINGE eating a discussing amount of sweets while watching the Sens - I mean even the attendant at Spar was judging us (sorry Emm, I knew we promised to take it to the grave but I figured you would forgive me on this one)
    -admidst the laughter, having meaningful pillow talk about our lives, families and friends
    -the Emm telling me just how lucky she was to have a family support her in living her dream (even if it meant making her Dad work just a little bit longer)
    -catching the Emm up on Grey's and watching the last two episodes with her before bed
    -listening to Jonathan's voicemail about his day on Sunday and then guushing over it several times (I can still hear her practicing her British accent and saying "it was really a tedious affair")
    -realizing that my best friend was in love, that my best friend was happy, that my best friend could conquer the world
    -sticking to our mission of trying surfing even when we waited outside the surf school for three hours and they never showed
    -Emm being better then me at surfing (you know how I hate that Emm... I can't stand the competition... oh and just for the record, I stood first...)
    -making what would appear to be the most manic CD to the average person for the car ride home but belting out and dancing to every last song
    -eating ham and cheese sandwiches (or sangies - the odd nickname Emma came up with)
    -hitting a sugar low at around song 14 on the CD and opening cans of pop to refuel our sugar low
    -remembering that even in the moments before her death, she was so brave and so intent on trying to get us out of danger

    The Emm truly changed me as a person. She helped make me who I am today (I don't know if you want to take credit for that Emm). I am forever indebted for the time I got to spend with her. I only wish we had a longer ride.

    I will always love you and always carry you in my heart.

     
  • At 1:16 PM, May 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was lucky enough to have been able to spend time with em while in London only a month ago. Emma went out of her way to come cheer on the Sens at the Maple Leaf and endured a night out at the Slug. On our last night in London she did her research and took us to the Troubadour (in hopes of a Prince Harry sighting).
    Em was so happy and in turn she made whoever was around her that much happier. She spoke so highly of her theatre group, her friends, of her family vacation and of London in general. She texted Kelly the exact second that we finally talked her in to joining facebook...(with all your pushing kel, she was almost there).
    Since meeting Em in first year she constantly made me laugh. I will forever cherish every memory I have of Em and whenever I hear Justin Timberlake on the radio I will remember Emma having the inside scoop as to where he was partying that night in London (of course she would).
    My thoughts are with all of her family and friends.

     
  • At 1:30 PM, May 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I had the pleasure of knowing Emma through ringette while she was at Queens. She was a beautiful person inside & out and will be greatly missed. My thoughts and prayers are with the Bailey family at this difficult time.

     
  • At 2:02 PM, May 24, 2007, Blogger Shakti Yogini said…

    Ebai

    I am too afraid to write you a comment because it means that what is happening right now is real.

    I remember our talks after Gary's acting class -- our first guru, and his comments to your Hedda Gabler. I was enchanted by you in Gypsy, how you managed to be hilarious and present with the lines you had. With the G-String. And that wig! Agnes!
    I loved going through Michelle's acting class with you. Terrified those first few weeks, that she would hate us or we would be alienated because we were two of the few Wagnerians. Super Fabio Bros. was a treat, none of us other players could have pulled off the delicate maneuver of Oprah the way you did. I love that you stayed true to country and you always wore your Oilers jersey for your song.
    419-431... you talking about your family, your sisters, the Queen's legacy and the big shoes you felt you had to fill.
    Watching you in The Laramie Project, This is Our Youth, and feeling so proud of you.
    Talking about Canadian Theatre class, wondering how Craig got so smart and joking about our attempts at name dropping.
    Playing drinking games in our last 201 class to Jenn's words and gestures. Like "meta-theatre". Being pissed by the end of the class and going to see the Incredibles.
    The other bad movies I would have never gone to see if I didn't love you so much. National Treasure case point.
    "Dating" you in fourth year, with minimum-weekly meals together at Atomica, or Ta-Ke or the QP... me a vegan and you a carnivore and none of it mattering. Spending so much time together we started to refer to ourselves as Shebai
    Your Ashley Olsen and the Mary-Kate Puppet you wore. Getting you drunk enough so you could try to pick up Rob Knox, and instead you getting sick and passing out.
    You disproving "Girls aren't funny". Ad infinitum.
    Your Oilers formal dress.
    Crying when you left Kingston because it would be the end of seeing you everyday. It felt like breaking up. You being non-chalant the way you are. I know you care.
    Saving up and visiting you in London and being so inspired that I moved around the world to do my Masters in Theatre. A million hilarious things you said, serious talks, ideas, dreams. From one soon-to-be famous actor to another.

    I love you so much and I can't grasp that I don't have your daily blogs -- I would read them outloud to Mark, that I won't come home to see you, that I won't see you achieve all of the things I know are in you. I was so anxious and excited to see and hear all of the incredible things you would do.

    If it's all a joke, you can just text me. I promise I won't tell anyone.

    Love you always my special special girl,

    Shebai
    -------
    Kelly -- I am so relieved to hear you are safe. It was wonderful to read about your last hours together.

    The Baileys -- This is impossible for me, I can't imagine how you are doing. I heard about you all so much, and met you on various occasions. Both of us being the youngest of 5, we spoke a lot about our families. You must all be so proud.

    Jb of Norwich -- I remember when Emm first told me about you (on the d/l) and how excited I was for her. I remember asking so many questions and her excitement, and feeling so warm when she mentioned you (indirect or no) in her blog... and finally posted a photo (...and the one of you both from behind -- her adopting your team, but never waning in her love of the Oilers, of course!) I remember sharing that joy with players friends, and articulating how you are the luckiest man in the world.

    Forgive me my length Emm, I know I can be long winded and your attention span can be short... especially if you've been drinking Coke.

    I will get back to crying like it's my J-o-b.


    PS. Has anyone let her husband know? The kids will be devastated!

     
  • At 3:00 PM, May 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We played ringette together in Kingston and nobody could make me laugh like Emma. I haven't seen her in 3 years but thought of her just the other day and I laughed out loud at one of my many memories of her. She loved life and I always thought that I'd see her name in lights. She definitely has star-quality!

    Jennipher Moritsugu

     
  • At 3:27 PM, May 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We had the pleasure of knowing Emma through Jenna along their trip to Italy and spent together two intense days travelling across Puglia. We have a clear memory of her smile on that long summer night swim in the see...

    Our love to Jenna,
    Paolo e Stefania

     
  • At 4:24 PM, May 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Emma was a truly fantastic person and friend and she could always make me smile. I had the pleasure of meeting Emma through friends quite awhile ago and I always enjoyed spending time with her and everyone when she was back in SA. She had a way of lighting up the room with her presence and I feel really lucky to have known her. I always looked forward to reading her blog and she always wrote something that made me laugh.

    My thoughts go out to the Bailey family, all of Emma's friends and everyone that knew her. She always spoke so highly of her family and friends and I know she treasured them dearly.

    sarah

     
  • At 5:24 PM, May 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I feel so lucky to have known Emma. She was my flatmate but also a friend. The sweetheart that she was always had positive and kind things to say. Her warmth and zest for life were palpable. I feel incredibly blessed to have known her. There is a great void in the flat, but I feel her presence in my heart.

     
  • At 5:48 PM, May 24, 2007, Blogger Come on said…

    I met Emma a few times through Queen's Drama and I was always so impressed with how genuine, funny and wonderful she is. I live in London now, and I guess I just wish I'd known she was here. I would loved to have seen her. Although I didn't know her well, she is really the kind of person who always leaves you wanting more. I worked with her on Gypsy and she was always my favourite chorus girl. Though I didn't know her well, I guess I'm one of hundreds (or even more) to feel so sad about this news. My thoughts go now to her close friends and family- you are so lucky to have had her in your life. She is a true blue, and there aren't that many out there.

     
  • At 6:21 PM, May 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Emma was in The Laramie Project with me when I was in my first year at Queen's. We became friends very quickly and I am so happy I got to know her before she graduated after my second year.

    That cast was a special one - we went out a lot, laughed a lot and got to know each other well. Emma was the eldest, but her spunk and energy was part of what held us all together. As she said in the play, "It was all pretty much just party, party time." It was such an important part of my university years.

    I have a lot of fond memories of Emma. She was one of the funniest and most talented people I have ever met. She took her integrity, her contagious laugh and her Oilers jersey everywhere she went... And she will be missed so much.

    My thoughts are with her family and friends.

    Emily Hincks

     
  • At 6:40 PM, May 24, 2007, Blogger Broderick said…

    The reason I do stand-up now is because of Emma, and I am devastated that our double-act has been split up.

    Emm, you are the most kind and talented, generous human being, you made me less homesick when I was, you were a great friend and I'll never forget our banter. I only knew you just under two years but it felt like a lifetime. I loved being 'The Canadians,' I loved sharing the stage with you, I loved dancing around to the Bleeding Heart Show.

    Love, Brody

     
  • At 6:58 PM, May 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    To Jenna, The Bailey Family, Kelly and Any of her Close Friends,
    My heart goes out to you all, I truly feel ill that you have to go through this horrible tragedy. Emma was amazing, vibrant, caring, kind, hilarous, honest and a true star in my mind. Emma had the best laugh of anyone I had ever met! Every single memory I have of Emma is full of giggles, fun, candy and constant laughter.
    My deepest sympathies go out to you.
    Love,
    Lisa Bendfeld (Victoor)

     
  • At 7:27 PM, May 24, 2007, Blogger Becky Watchorn said…

    I only met Emma a few times, but she had such a vibrant personality those few times made a big impression. I always loved to see her at the rink when she was back visiting and never stopped laughing when she was around. I was surprised she was so up-to-date about what was happening with the U of A ringette team since she lived in England, but in true Emma-style she re-enacted for me the long phone conversations she had with her dad about every possible new strategy or play for the team! It still makes me smile. The whole team is thinking of you, Bob, and only wish there was something we could do.

     
  • At 9:57 PM, May 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Emma

    I was lucky enough to know Emma for many years, and can remember many a time laughing so much we couldn't speak for a very long time after the laughter started. She always gave me confidence and made me feel special. One time when we were about 12 or 13 she laughed so hard that she peed her pants on my floor (sorry Em the secrets out, but i have kept that in for a very long time) To be fair we did give her about 2L of Coke which is always a NO with Emma. I was also lucky to be in many a show at the St.Albert Children's theatre with her, and have countless memories of the shenanagans we got up to. She loved everyone around her so much, and i will cherish her forever. Emma you will be so very missed. I love you so much, and you lit up everyone's life. My thoughts go out to the Bailey family. I know so much about you because Emma used to talk about you all the time. She loved you all so much and she knew she was loved by you.

    XXXXXXXX Katie

     
  • At 10:52 PM, May 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I always heard Emma when she was around before I saw her. Her voice and her laugh were so distinct. There was always joy in her voice and sincerity in her laugh. Emma, you are honestly one of the nicest people that I have ever met. You were always warm, welcoming and genuine. I, and everyone else who has met you are better people because of it.

     
  • At 1:04 AM, May 25, 2007, Blogger Rick said…

    KELLY - I betted em £5 that she wouldnt be able to stand on the surf board. she said she would take pix to proof she could.
    did she manage it?

     
  • At 8:28 AM, May 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just wanted to comment on the blog that I mostly silently read everyday. It made me smile. For the last two days my eyes read the same, but only this morning it all registered.

    Emma, once I told you during an exercise in movement class that I wished I had your sense of humour.

    I never told you how incredible talented I think you are and my admiration of your aura of coolness that I secretly envy a little.

    There is everything wrong with this. I cry because there is no other way to react to this.

    My thoughts and prayers are with everyone, friends and family. Take care of yourselves and each other. x

     
  • At 8:53 AM, May 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Emma was vivacious, fabulous, and funny. We met her through her sister Kate when they came to visit us in Oxford last year, and she became a firm favorite and the blog was required reading. We so enjoyed keeping up with the Emm on the blog and used to giggle at it regularly.

    I think it's amazing to see in the comments the number of people who knew Emma through another Bailey, or who knew all about the Baileys through Emma. It's a testament to what a warm, loving and close family they are. To know and love one Bailey is to know and love all them, and Jamie and I are thinking about all of you.

    We also wanted to say WHO HOO WHO HOO and KAKAW KAKAW for Bailey Junior.

    lots of love
    Sarah and Jamie

     
  • At 12:52 PM, May 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Every day I would smile when I read Emma's blog. I would shut my door and leave the patients waiting and just get my fix. Even wgen she was MIA, I could at least chide her for not posting. She has been such a joy in my life. My sunshine, my twinkling star. I will miss her so much. Her laughter, her crumple cries, her dancing. She taught me how to shake what my momma gave me and to laugh at Dodge ball movies. I am forever blessed by loving her and forever changed by her death. Thanks to all of you who made her life so wonderful.

     
  • At 1:11 PM, May 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Emm, I still can't believe it. I don't know how I'll ever go on stage again without your 'how good', 'SOOO f!*%ing good'! I wish we were all back having all you can eat Chinese in Jimmy Chungs ('I'll just have the sweet and sour veg') and screaming with laughter at the fire alarm!

    My thoughts are with the Bailey family, we'd bond over how homesick we both were, she loved you guys so much and was so excited whenever she knew she was seeing you.

    And to Jb, in the hotel room in Barcelona she lay awake til 5 in the morning when we had to be up at 9 (Sorry Rick) telling me all about you and trying to copy your accent!

    Also to Kelly, every single day til you got her she was on a countdown 'only 3 more sleeps til Kelly's here', she was so excited and loved you so much.

    Also to all the other people that were lucky enough to know and love Emm. Her positivity was immense, she'd never let life get her down and I'm going to take that with me always.

    Emm, you've made such a massive impact on my life and I miss you so much.

     
  • At 2:17 PM, May 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I knew Emma through Theatre class at the ISC at Herstmonceux Castle. I was one of three in the class and we all did a play together. She was a wonderful, fun girl who obviously had a passion for theatre and for life. She will be remembered.

    Sincerely,
    Chris Hobrecker
    Halifax, Nova Scotia

     
  • At 8:45 PM, May 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I stumbled upon this blog by chance. I never knew Emma, but from reading all of the comments here, I feel as if I did.

    I am so sorry for your loss, and the words just don't seem like they're enough. Take care of yourselves and each other, and keep remembering Emma as you have been - with a smile and a whole lot of love.

    -Kristal

     
  • At 11:29 PM, May 25, 2007, Blogger Red Leader said…

    Hi Everyone - Thank you for your comments. They are wonderful and we love reading them. Here is the confirmed information about the funeral. Please pass it along to anyone that should know.

    Kate Bailey

    Tuesday, May 29 drop in anytime in between 6 and 9 pm. A viewing will be held at the St. Albert Funeral Home (St. Vital Ave and St. Albert Trail).

    Wednesday, May 30 at 10 am, a funeral mass followed by a burial service will be held at the St. Albert Catholic Church (7 St. Vital Ave).

    Everyone is welcome to both. We hope to see you there, but understand if you are unable to join us.

    In lieu of flowers, donations can be made in Emma's name to the Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation www.oilersfoundation.ca

     
  • At 1:39 AM, May 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Jenna,
    I am a pathologist that works with your Dad at the RAH. I once met you at the Glendale pool a few years back. You looked after my kids at the pool. I am very saddened to hear that life has dealt such a cruel blow to the Bailey family. I found this little tribute to Emma from one her professors at Queen's. I thought you might like to share it with your family one day.
    D.R. McLean
    Edmonton, Alberta

    http://porcupinegirdle.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 4:56 PM, May 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Everyone, Thank you so much for your comments. Just a note to mention that if you like, please feel free to wear some pink, emm's favourite colour, to the service on wed. Many thanks

     
  • At 5:55 PM, May 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was Emms flat mate at Stammy B mansions, my other flatmate Matt and I had been renovating the flat for about 6 months when we were ready to find two flat mates, we advertised on the gumtree website and then spent one saturday meeting our potential housemates. Emm and Kel (or Kellarious :-)) were second up, and our decision was made. We just knew instantly they were going to be great fun.

    From the whoops of joy when I called to let them know, the laughter and fun in our flat did not stop. Matt and I had great fun teaching her English words and sayings, I remember the absolute astonishment when she found out you could drink a beer on the tube. The next time we went out, she went to the garage, bought some beers and ceremoniously cracked them open when we got on the tube, the delight was so much fun to be part of.

    Emm had a magic way of radiating non stop positivity about life, in fact the only times I saw her a bit down was when Kel left to go back to Canada, oh and when she had to drag her self down to the gym!

    Emm did lots of little things for me, she was a great listener, an awesome microwave popcorn maker, a mutual pad thai lover, she taught me to sneeky sneeky download music, to appreciate the arts and most importantly how to play flip cup...!

    Most of the time I would come home from work to find emm couched over her laptop watching ice hockey or writing her blog, in fact emm and kel would be sitting next to each other MSNing each other, I would be like "are you both talking to each other on MSN?" to the howl of laughter and a promise not to.

    It wasn't long before Emm met Jonathan, and this was BIG news. Every day was like team meeting with classics like "Sy, Sy, Sy shall I call him?" Me "No" "Why not" Me "Let him call you" "But I wanna call him" Me "ok but only send him a text" This went on for a couple of weeks before the most excited girl in the world announced he was her boyfriend.

    Emm has a special way of saying everybodys name, but when she said Jonathan, you knew he was her beau. She was so at the butterflies stage of young first love.

    So this terrible accident has happened, Stammy B is so empty right now, we all miss her so much, so many of my friends who met her, commented how she was such a lovely person, I haven't met any one like her before and doubt I ever will.
    She was so proud of Jenna and loving of her family, she was over the moon when she had her whole family come over for Jennas book launch.

    My dear friend Emm, you're so sorely missed.

    Sy x

     
  • At 6:43 PM, May 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ever since I saw that Jenna has created this stream I have wanted to comment. But adding a comment has been difficult because it means 1- acknowledging the permanence of Emma's death and 2- it means attempting to articulate something that can only be experienced.

    Watching the overwhelming response of people that have been touched by Emma's vivacity, like Emma's professor's Zorba the Greek analogy, I have an thought that keeps running through my head, Emma is like a modern day Saint, a hero to many of us. Emma herself would likely fall around laughing at the suggestion of being a Saint and I feel a deep tickle inside my stomach at the thought of it. But it is so hard to justify or explain her selflessness and ability to make all those around her feel like rockstars in their different right. Every moment I spent with Emma I had a perma-grin because I knew the joke was coming, I knew she had some feel good stuff up her sleeve and at any moment she could come up with something that would make us all implode into gut wrenching hysterical laughter. The stuff only magical moments and ensuing sore bellies are made of. Emma had it.

    I feel very inadequate attempting to convey the impact Emma's charisma, wit and kindness had on me and I have resigned myself to it is something we all know and might not be able express but will continue to live in our hearts. I am not sure why Emma had to leave us, I only know where she is going I would like to go there too. She will un-doubtfully continue to make a profound impact and selfishly I wish I had a bit longer with this free spirited saint.. the youngest are always a bit wild and uncontrollable.. hey Baileys?

    Emma- I love you and will miss you and wish my wagon could join yours wherever you are headed.

    To the Baileys- I know you are proud and honoured to have had Emma. I am deeply sorry for your loss, but I know being the amazing family you are you will all keep Emma’s memory alive and for this I am thankful… meaning I will most certainly be by to share a glass of wine, view the picture encyclopedias and take part in theatrical reenactments of her life.

    To everyone else- let’s keep the Emm’s spirit alive and I hope to beat you all to the shops to find my Emma appropriate piece of pink!

    Love, hugs, kisses,
    Deirdre

     
  • At 3:37 AM, May 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I didnt know Emma very well. I was in Jr. High school with her. I always remember admiring Emma and how smart she was. In drama she always had fantastic ideas and who could forget the talent shows! She was an amazing person. I am so happy to hear she got to live her dream. My thoughts are with the Baily family.

     
  • At 7:48 PM, May 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Emma and the Baileys,
    I have finally gotten up enough courage to post something for Emma. It's hard to acknowledge that she's not here, when I can close my eyes and see her face, or hear her voice and what she would say to me.
    Contrary to my parent's belief, I did NOT actually live with Kelly and Emma at Queen's. I mean, I wasn't paying rent there. But I can understand their confusion, as I did spend a lot of time there, and many a moment of ours was captured on their wall.
    Emm is my bestie. We lauged together. We could not find much to cry about.
    I don't know how to begin saying goodbye to someone you never imagined wouldn't be around. But Emma and I never said goodbye - when we knew it would be a long time until we saw each other again, we would always say "See you next week."
    Even when she's far away, she is alwasy in my thoughts. She thought up all my best jokes. She is part of all my best memories and I will carry her with me forever.

    Emm - it's so like you to see if you can jump the line. Please watch over Kelly and I until we see you again.
    We have had the best time.
    TOURAGE.

     
  • At 11:15 PM, May 29, 2007, Blogger Unknown said…

    What can I say Emma?

    I only met you briefly and yet even writing something has been so difficult. I can only imagine for Jenna and the rest of your family. Yet I only met you briefly and still I feel like I knew you so well.

    All I can say is that despite the pain now, I feel lucky to have met you, to have known your smile and your warmth; and that your family are even more lucky to have had someone like you among them. It was just great to finally meet you all and see you together so happy.

    All of my wishes and love to everybody,

    Dimitris
    (Brighton, U.K.)

     
  • At 7:31 PM, May 30, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It has taken me a week to decide what to write about Emma. This has come as such a shock to all of us. It is difficult to sum up feelings into words.

    Emma and I met in our first week of classes at Queens when we both tried out for the Queens Bands Highland Dancers. We made an instant connection at the first practice when we realized that not only were we the only two frosh girls, but also had both faked our way through the audition (somewhat) by not drawing attention to our previous experience. We had both danced for most of our lives, but had heard rumours that the bands preferred "raw talent". Little did I know then, that Ebai would become one of my best friends in those early years of University.

    Emma and I spent the next two years basically spending every possible moment in bands together (football games, the ports, road trips, parties) and of course, laughing at every opportunity (it is no surprise that everybody in Emma's life has been touched by her infectious laugh). Every moment with Emma was fun. She truly had a way of making you feel like you were the funnest person to be around (when really, it was her).

    My thoughts and prayers are with everybody in Alberta today. I wish so badly that I could be there to celebrate Emma's life, and be with her family and other friends. She truly was a star, and lived each day to it's fullest; bursting with energy, love and grace.

    I miss you Emma, but I know you are not as far away as it feels. You will forever be in all of our hearts, and each person that knew you will never be the same.

    Thank you for teaching me to make others feel special, and for always making me smile. I hope that in our time as friends I was able to touch your life even a fraction of the way you have changed mine.

    My love and deepest sympathy to the Bailey family, and everybody who loved Ebai. She always talked about how much she loved all of you (especially her family, and friends in St. Albert). She was so proud of you. I hope you will find comfort in the special memories you will have to keep forever.

    Sincerely,

    Bonney Shelley

     
  • At 1:32 PM, May 31, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Jenna,

    It must be very hard to lose someone you love, especially someone as wonderful as Emma. We want you to know that we are not just your housemates but also your friends.

    We miss you and think about you.

    Un abrazo fuerte,

    Maria, Mikkel, Dimitris

     
  • At 9:44 PM, May 31, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    STOPPING BY WOODS ON A SNOWY EVENING

    Whose woods these are I think I know.
    His house is in the village, though;
    He will not see me stopping here
    To watch his woods fill up with snow.

    My little horse must think it queer
    To stop without a farmhouse near
    Between the woods and frozen lake
    The darkest evening of the year.

    He gives his harness bells a shake
    To ask if there is some mistake.
    The only other sound's the sweep
    Of easy wind and downy flake.

    The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

    ROBERT FROST

    My sincere condolences to the family and friends of Emma.

    Elaine

     
  • At 1:50 AM, June 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My thoughts and love to the entire Bailey family and to all of Emma's friends and loved ones.

    I had the great pleasure of being in History and Drama with Emma at Queen's and though we were not close friends, her spirit, smile and laughter always lifted my heart even on the gloomiest of days in Kingston.

    I know that she will never be forgotten because she was a star in so many people's skies. And though our interactions were brief over the few years we spent at university, she will never fade from my memory.

    With love,
    Renee Edelman
    Toronto, ON / Brighton, UK

     
  • At 2:31 PM, June 07, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I met Emma in central and she was the first one to speak to me, i remember thinking how funny and great personality she has. I only knew her for little more than a year but she inspired me in so many ways.
    Emma, I remember during the festival at central you brought in this list of the football teams and their names because it was just before the world cup and you wanted to know all the players so you could be really involved in the event. I remember thinking, wow, she really knows how to make the most out of every moment and it inspired me. You inspired me more than you know (I wish I told you) once, during a rehearsal, you inspired me to say what i dream to do... Because of you, now i always say my dreams out loud!

    My thoughts are with the family,
    With love, Vala

     
  • At 5:09 AM, June 10, 2010, Blogger Keith's Mom said…

    Emma, in honour of Kelly's birthday today, I wanted to thank you for arranging the wonderful chance meeting between her and Keith in the Fall of 2007. You do know how to take care of your friends! Billy Graham has written that we will know each other in heaven....I hope to offer you my thanks in person one day. Love from Keith's mom and Kelly's Momma Joni. PS Send money...Keith needs help with the ring...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home