The Emm.

EK took the UK. Now It's up to me to finish the job.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Somebody read the paper today!

Despite the fact that it is still really warm here, the Christmas season is fast approaching. The Oxford Street lights are up - I haven't seen them yet, but Michael Jackson did when he met the owner of Top Shop in a restaurant on Monday night and had him open the store at midnight to look around. (I can't wait until I can close stores to shop. I think I'll pick Champions or Footlocker or Burberry. One of those three.) But believe it or not, skating is on the minds of many Londoners these days. I went last year for a whirl around a pond in the weirdest "skates" I've ever seen in my life (please see the massive orange things that are attached to my feet in this picture from last December.)

So in the paper today there was an article about the upcoming skating rinks in the city that you can go to. Attached to it was a CLASSIC article giving readers tips when ice skating. It was too funny so I had to highlight a few for you. They all have to do with falling!!!


1. "Dress the part. Trousers are key, as even the most fashionable opaque tights won't give you much protection when you fall over, and getting a hole in them might ruin your night."


2. "Extra-thick woolly gloves...because they will protect your hands when you fall."


3. "Don't be afraid to use the handrail, you'll look more stupid on the floor than you will holding onto something."


4. "Once you've mastered standing, push gently away from the side with your legs apart and one foot slightly in front of the other....Try to get a rhythm going to make yourself look smooth."


5. "If you fall...try to make it look like you meant to fall over."


I love it.

So, anyone wanna go skating next week???

6 Comments:

  • At 4:45 PM, November 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you read it right the instructions sound like life lessons: Look smooth, dress the part, hang on to someone if you need to AND if you really blow it pretened it was intentional. I will skate with you anytime Emm if you teach me how to skate on hockey skates.

     
  • At 4:49 PM, November 15, 2006, Blogger Rick said…

    I feel honoured!!!!!!!!!
    skating? if i remember rightly, last year i said, and i quote verbatim "never again"

     
  • At 5:27 PM, November 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In practial terms, that is very good advice.

     
  • At 6:55 PM, November 15, 2006, Blogger Broderick said…

    I wanna go skating next week!

    We could go to Kew Gardens!

     
  • At 1:29 AM, November 16, 2006, Blogger Kelly said…

    That article is amazing. The only thing that they were missing were breaking out the metal chairs to push as you do laps. Totally the next step after the rail...

    I'LL GO SKATING!!! Oh wait.. I gotta work. Don't think I can make the trip. Damn. Oh well in Jan we can skate on the world's largest skating rink in Ottawa!!

    As a sidenote: I just googled it and you would be happy to hear, and I quote, verbatim just for you Rick: "The National Capital Commission would like to advise the public that as of today Friday March 10th, 2006 the Rideau Canal Skateway is officially closed for the season. The mild weather has weakened the ice to the point that the Skateway is unsafe and unpredictable"

    Okay, I know that it is cold in Canada but get real folks. Gawd...

     
  • At 6:38 PM, November 17, 2006, Blogger Kelly said…

    Okay so I can't cope. Life is busy and I check the blog less frequently and what happens? I have nine new posts to read AND COMMENT on. Then when life slows down you can't find it in you to post. What is going on here Bailster? I demand some answers.

    Oh and I have some new funny work stories that will make you laugh...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home