He's done it again.
Yesterday was an emotional day for me.

I was unpleasantly surprised by a voice mail from my dad that said, "Hi Em. Uhh...the...gand..shelfity...dherk hoikhugo ... trade rumours...ajackso...the luik ... your favorite player hasjfh. Call your mother. Herfderv."
In case that was confusing - that is what the voicemail sounded like as my dad's car phone kept cutting out and I couldn't make sense of what he said.
Instantly, my eyes filled up with tears and I once again surprised myself in my obsession levels for Ryan Smyth. Sometimes I forget how important he is to me. But irrationally crying in the streets of London help to remind me that Smytty is the wind beneath my wings. Luckily, I called my mom right away - who I knew would be listening to sports radio, watching sports TV, and reading the sports websites. And she was. And she sorted out the rumours for me and denied any talks about upcoming trades for Ryan. I think she may have also reprimanded my father for his actions. Hopefully.
Since then, I have discovered the following from my Oilers sources (and my mom):
Smytty was given an offer yesterday. No one is talking now but the other day Kevin said it would be for 3-7 years. They are suggesting 5.25 million for 4 years for Smyth might do the trick and that is doable. One of my favorite Oilers blogs also suggested setting up a PAYPAL serve to keep Smytty if we couldn't afford him. I second that motion.
Also, Smyth has been named one of the NHL All-star's of the week. Sigh. Well done Smytty.

So after all of that, the moral of the story is this: I have started a candlelight vigil that will be lit until the trade deadline ends. Please feel free to do the same.
Bleeding copper and blue,
Love, The Emm.

I was unpleasantly surprised by a voice mail from my dad that said, "Hi Em. Uhh...the...gand..shelfity...dherk hoikhugo ... trade rumours...ajackso...the luik ... your favorite player hasjfh. Call your mother. Herfderv."
In case that was confusing - that is what the voicemail sounded like as my dad's car phone kept cutting out and I couldn't make sense of what he said.
Instantly, my eyes filled up with tears and I once again surprised myself in my obsession levels for Ryan Smyth. Sometimes I forget how important he is to me. But irrationally crying in the streets of London help to remind me that Smytty is the wind beneath my wings. Luckily, I called my mom right away - who I knew would be listening to sports radio, watching sports TV, and reading the sports websites. And she was. And she sorted out the rumours for me and denied any talks about upcoming trades for Ryan. I think she may have also reprimanded my father for his actions. Hopefully.
Since then, I have discovered the following from my Oilers sources (and my mom):
Smytty was given an offer yesterday. No one is talking now but the other day Kevin said it would be for 3-7 years. They are suggesting 5.25 million for 4 years for Smyth might do the trick and that is doable. One of my favorite Oilers blogs also suggested setting up a PAYPAL serve to keep Smytty if we couldn't afford him. I second that motion.
Also, Smyth has been named one of the NHL All-star's of the week. Sigh. Well done Smytty.

So after all of that, the moral of the story is this: I have started a candlelight vigil that will be lit until the trade deadline ends. Please feel free to do the same.
Bleeding copper and blue,
Love, The Emm.

7 Comments:
At 4:06 PM, January 30, 2007,
Emm said…
Was he the first star of the week?
No.
Was he the second star of the week?
Umm...no.
Was he the third star?
No comment.
At 9:26 PM, January 30, 2007,
Anonymous said…
God, you're obsessed.
At 1:32 AM, January 31, 2007,
Kelly said…
My thoughts and prayers are with you at this very difficult and uncertain time...
At 5:03 PM, January 31, 2007,
Emm said…
D and B - You are so wise!!! So wise! There will be a meeting on Thursday, hopefully you can attend.
DHG - Yes, yes I am.
AB Bound - I'll tell my mother you said so. It sounds like you two have a lot in common!!!
Kellarnious - Cheers!
At 1:23 AM, February 01, 2007,
Anonymous said…
Emm, I have a Q for you. Not to bring this up but (okay Im totally just bringing it up..) If he DID ever get traded to lets say, Boston, Would you still be as big of an OIL fan? Or would you start bleeding black and yellow?
Just curious...
-Juju
At 1:57 AM, February 01, 2007,
Emm said…
JuJu. Excellent question. I hestitate to talk about this situation but I will tell you this:
Born an Oilers fan. Die and Oilers fan. Oilers are my life. Think of Horc's crazy antics. And Hemmer's new haircut that has convinced my mom that he is now a man and plays with more confidence. Or Raffi's facial hair. I love the Oilers. Loyal to the Oil. Oilers are my life. Unless I marry an LA King. Then I might have to say, "Go Kings!" every now and then....
At 3:11 AM, February 03, 2007,
Anonymous said…
uh...rumour has it that you are having an affair with the king of scotland...i didnt even know they still had a king.
Post a Comment
<< Home