What a Coin Tosser!
I am livid.

This afternoon I was at the pub (obviously) and was paying for my drink in coins, as I usually do. (It was just a double. I'm trying to cut back.) When I gave the 'tender my 20 pence coin he looked at it very closely and said he couldn't accept it as "legal tender". He explained that the coin was made in 1983 and so was no longer valid.
Cut to The Emm: "Fatguysayzwhat?"
Tender: "That coin is 23 years old and is no longer accepted. Its too old."
Then he has the audacity to suggest that I keep the coin as it "might be worth something". Yeah, dumbass. It's worth 20p. Accept it.
I sheepishly had to borrow 20p to pay for my effing juice (gin and...) and thanked the man so kindly for informing me about this British rule.
So here are my thoughts:
1. Since when is something that was created in 1983 "old"?
2. The Emm always tries to keep her bloggers informed on whats going on in the world and it is difficult to keep up with everything but I do a good job of highlighting the important stuff. You know, like how Britney has lost weight and how...uhhh...Britney is doing better. Things like that. But I never saw this coming.
3. I know for a fact that I have used coins in Canada that were created in 1965. Now THAT is old.
4. Can anyone fill The Emm in on why this rule exists????
5. For the record, after I left the pub I went to the market and bought some fruit with the illegal 20p. I am hoping that in my research I don't discover that this coin is actually worth something.

This afternoon I was at the pub (obviously) and was paying for my drink in coins, as I usually do. (It was just a double. I'm trying to cut back.) When I gave the 'tender my 20 pence coin he looked at it very closely and said he couldn't accept it as "legal tender". He explained that the coin was made in 1983 and so was no longer valid.
Cut to The Emm: "Fatguysayzwhat?"
Tender: "That coin is 23 years old and is no longer accepted. Its too old."
Then he has the audacity to suggest that I keep the coin as it "might be worth something". Yeah, dumbass. It's worth 20p. Accept it.
I sheepishly had to borrow 20p to pay for my effing juice (gin and...) and thanked the man so kindly for informing me about this British rule.
So here are my thoughts:
1. Since when is something that was created in 1983 "old"?
2. The Emm always tries to keep her bloggers informed on whats going on in the world and it is difficult to keep up with everything but I do a good job of highlighting the important stuff. You know, like how Britney has lost weight and how...uhhh...Britney is doing better. Things like that. But I never saw this coming.
3. I know for a fact that I have used coins in Canada that were created in 1965. Now THAT is old.
4. Can anyone fill The Emm in on why this rule exists????
5. For the record, after I left the pub I went to the market and bought some fruit with the illegal 20p. I am hoping that in my research I don't discover that this coin is actually worth something.

8 Comments:
At 7:29 PM, April 26, 2007,
Red Leader said…
I am pretty sure your research will validate the man's claim that things produced in 1983 are worthless. Sorry you had to learn it this way.
At 8:09 PM, April 26, 2007,
Alberta Bound said…
I can't even remember anything that was produced in 1983!
At 8:11 PM, April 26, 2007,
Crazy Blogger Lady's Sister said…
I was already old in 1983 and people rejected me all the time so I understand just how badly that littel coin must have felt. No wonder my sister is so crazy. She is even older tham me!
At 8:47 PM, April 26, 2007,
Anonymous said…
So obviously the guy in the pub couldn't even do simple math, the coin would actually be 24 years old. 2007 - 1983 = 24. You should throw dorito's at him...
At 9:39 PM, April 26, 2007,
Crazy Blogger Lady said…
Move on, dearie, move on.
At 11:26 PM, April 26, 2007,
Anonymous said…
Ummm is this dude not aware that all thing great and wonderful in the world were "made" in 1983??
;)
-Juju
At 11:29 PM, April 26, 2007,
Broderick said…
Anything worth anything was created in nineteen eighty TWO. '83 was just a wannabe year.
At 12:40 AM, April 27, 2007,
Crazy Blogger Lady's Sister said…
"Walk away dear...just walk away" Oh my sister...she is soooo crazy!
Post a Comment
<< Home