The Emm.

EK took the UK. Now It's up to me to finish the job.

Monday, October 23, 2006

No - Sounds like Bats (Rats)- in Alberta


J-Books is the WIN-AH!



I have to admit. This contest escalated quite quickly. Once again, you Bloggers out did yourselves. It all started on Friday when I was bored and wanted to post a little info on the Alberta Rat Patrol (which I had recently discovered from "Roadie") but I didn't want to post a picture of a rat because they are disgusting and diseased and gross and disgusting. So thinking I was being creative I put an ear and a bat hoping you would make the link that it was "sounds like bat". Then the pictures got me on to the idea of a contest. (Obviously a big hit with you guys. I'll try more.) So here we are...

THERE ARE NO RATS IN ALBERTA.

WHY?

When I moved to Onterrible for University I told everyone I've ever met that we don't have rats in Alberta and when anyone asked me how that was possible I answered with confidence, "We have a rat patrol." When the laughing stopped and the "We think Emma is an idiot" Club adjourned their meeting, I had no proof of said rat patrol and wondered myself if it did even exist. Is it really possible that we have an organization that is dedicated to looking our for rats???

But once again, The Emm has all of your answers. She figured out the difference between oatmeal and porridge (sort of) and now the rat patrol. Figure 1. The westward movement of the Norway rat across the prairies.

So get this - since 1960, dudes known as pest control inspectors were hired to patrol the Alberta-Saskatchewan border. Alberta had the legislation in place that authorized a rat control program and mandated control of pests before rats ever entered Alberta. If you see a rat, you call the patrol and they will deal with the situation. Due to the efforts of individuals, Alberta is and has always been rat free. So in my head when I pictured big strong men in "I hate Rat" uniforms driving across Alberta trying to spot rats, I was pretty much right.

So now, we just need these guys to expand internationally to the London Underground. I've seen one "sounds like bat" in my life and I almost threw up. In fact, perhaps this whole contest was the casue of my weekend influenza. That, we will never know....

So I hope you are satisfied bloggers. You have your answer!

9 Comments:

  • At 9:18 PM, October 23, 2006, Blogger Crazy Blogger Lady said…

    Congratulations J-books! The published author gets it - it figures! And a last minute entry at that!

    We'll see about the other contest...could it be two for two?

     
  • At 9:23 PM, October 23, 2006, Blogger El Oso said…

    For some reason this contest, in conjunction with your subsequent disappearance from the blog, outraged me. It's like tuning in to watch Cosby on a Thursday night only to learn its one of the "montage/flashback" shows.

     
  • At 9:35 PM, October 23, 2006, Blogger Crazy Blogger Lady said…

    My favourites were: no hear bat Alberta; nohearbatbert; and no hear stick map.

    What minds were at work there!

     
  • At 9:53 PM, October 23, 2006, Blogger Emm said…

    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

    Bill Cosby

     
  • At 10:05 PM, October 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Who knew?! And I think us "sounds like bat" haters have learned another valuable lesson from Figure 1: Don't go to Saskatchewan.

     
  • At 10:58 PM, October 23, 2006, Blogger Kelly said…

    Well, I don't even know what to say. I agree with J-Books: this is not a new revelation. I remember you telling me this story at Queen's. In fact I was the President of the Club, but we didn't form because of the rats.

    I loved the concept of the contest however I kinda hope that next time the contest doesn't break-out into i-net charades. You know how bad I am at charades. The anxiety of the game just kills me. I know, I neurotic but it scarred my childhood. I'll leave the public performance to you.

     
  • At 10:59 PM, October 23, 2006, Blogger Kelly said…

    Congrats J-Books! This is why you are a writer.

     
  • At 10:59 AM, October 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WIN AH!!!!!!

     
  • At 9:50 PM, October 24, 2006, Blogger Emm said…

    For more info you check check out this link.

    www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex3441?opendocument

    I hate sounds like bats.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home