The Emm.

EK took the UK. Now It's up to me to finish the job.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Y'all Know I Don't Like Books


Yesterday, as I was leaving Brighton, I walked past Waterstones bookshop (an equivalent to Chapters and Indigo) and saw a book in the window that caught my eye.

Now, most of you know my opinions on reading - I don't care for it. It is a waste of time, and to be honest, why read the book when you can rent the movie? But alas, there was something special about this certain book in the window that caught my eye.

Was it the colour of the book cover? Was it the intriguing title? Or was it the author's name? Perhaps the photo of the author in the sleeve of the book? (Surprised I know that word, sleeve?) Maybe I was drunk.

It was all of the above.


The long-awaited first book by Jenna Bailey, "Can Any Mother Help Me?", is finally in stores. Not only that, it was in the front window display of this bookshop, and when I walked into the store it was also on a Mother's Day special display. Hard to miss!

I walked into the store and proudly bought a copy of it. (It was 3 pounds off! How could I resist!)



I happened to be with the author and once the store clerk discovered she was the author (The Emm got excited and blabbed), she was asked to sign all of the store's books.



Today, the book was added to the Recommended section!




For further information on the book, and to find out about publicity events etc, check out the new website. It is still a work in progress but it looks amazing!

www.jenna-bailey.com


A big shout out to the webmaster for all of his excellent work and another big shout out to the author herself for accomplishing such an amazing task.



"Can Any Mother Help Me?" is published by Faber and Faber and is available in bookstores all across the UK. It is also available from Amazon.ca and Amazon.co.uk.

18 Comments:

  • At 4:38 PM, February 24, 2007, Blogger Emm said…

    The Emm is WELL proud!

     
  • At 5:06 PM, February 24, 2007, Blogger Alberta Bound said…

    As is the Mom!

     
  • At 5:29 PM, February 24, 2007, Blogger Emm said…

    AB - As is the "mum"?

     
  • At 8:55 PM, February 24, 2007, Blogger Kelly said…

    AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! That is so exciting! Man!!!!!!!! I am DYING!!!!!!!

    Can't wait until it is FINALLY available here in Canada. Might just have to put a copy in my window at work to talk it up!!!!!

     
  • At 9:00 PM, February 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Im not buying my copy until i am with a member of the bailey family!!!
    (i want discount...im sorry but i do)

     
  • At 9:00 PM, February 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Im not buying my copy until i am with a member of the bailey family!!!
    (i want discount...im sorry but i do)

     
  • At 9:23 PM, February 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats Jenna.
    That is really cool.

    -Juju

     
  • At 12:30 AM, February 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just letting you know the lovely Kyla Cassios discovered you could pre-order Jenna's book, and so she e-mailed all the ringette girls and did a mass order. Now we are all eagerly waiting for our books to come in....hurry it up!!

     
  • At 2:31 AM, February 25, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow, that is super exciting. i'll keep my eyes open for the book - it looks great!

     
  • At 4:22 PM, February 25, 2007, Blogger Emm said…

    Review in the Times...

    In unearthing these pieces of the recent past – equally entertaining and moving – from the Mass Observation archive at Sussex University and editing them with such care and affection, the historian Jenna Bailey has done us all a service that goes beyond a contribution to women’s history. At the end of the book we mourn these remarkable, ordinary women as if they had been our own.

     
  • At 5:24 PM, February 25, 2007, Blogger Kelly said…

    What an incredible review. Jenna you rock!

     
  • At 5:59 PM, February 25, 2007, Blogger Emm said…

    I also walked down Oxford Street this afternoon and saw the book in the big Waterstone's there. It was on the front display - right when you walk in, on the non-fiction shelves,on "Recently reviewed" (see above) and in a Mother's Day display.

    I get it. She wrote a book. Over it.

     
  • At 11:38 PM, February 25, 2007, Blogger Broderick said…

    I know!

    I've written LOADS of books. And by written I mean, read... and by read I mean, like, I've picked them up, looked at how the covers looked against my outfit that day, Wikipedia'd a synopsis, carried them around on the tube, enjoyed the glances told me 'I'm cute AND smart' then threw them in the bin. And by bin I mean library return slot.

    Seriously, though, MAD props to Jenna! I will read your book... but the cover is a bit girly... I might cover it in paper (so I have second-hand art-history street cred!)

     
  • At 12:16 AM, February 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that is a great review! can't wait until the book is in canada!

     
  • At 2:11 AM, February 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow - I wish I had a copy... You should all know that my copy of the book was stolen. It is that hot of a book. I am confident that the thief is a big reader who donates to the local library. But just is case, I encourage you to look at the front cover of ever copy of Jenna's book that you ever come across just to see if it is mine...

     
  • At 7:06 AM, February 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I should write a book....

    -Juju

     
  • At 4:51 PM, February 26, 2007, Blogger Crazy Blogger Lady said…

    Wowser!

     
  • At 5:54 PM, February 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks everyone for your support! Please keep checking my website for updated news!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home