The Emm.

EK took the UK. Now It's up to me to finish the job.

Friday, March 02, 2007

Press Release

Well I just wanted to say thanks to everybody for coming down. It's not what my family and I had in store.

I just want to thank the Edmonton Oilers Organization for giving [Ryan Smyth] an opportunity to play in the National Hockey League. It's a privilege to play in the National Hockey League - its an honour.

Since first hearing about the trade of Ryan Smyth to the New York Islanders, I have been going through a tough time. I heard the news Tuesday night, a few minutes after the deal had been done. I was with JB of Norwich at a Norwich City football match in Luton - a disgusting dirty old town just outside of London. I was standing with thousands of men in football shirts chanting and swearing. I knew it was trade deadline day so I had my phone in my hand, but the deadline had passed and I hadn't heard anything so I thought we were safe. Then Pearce texted me.

"Call Me. Prepare yourself."

I called her. I could feel myself going pale and my knees went weak. I sat down in the stands, the only person sitting. Pearce said to me, "Hi Emm. Do you want to hear it from me, or your mom?" I told her she could do it. She told me about the trade to New York. I was in absolutle shock and I thanked her for telling me. I can't imagine how hard that must have been. Pearcey - you've been a great friend. I owe you my life.

I then called mum and Jenna and well...everyone I've ever met. I spent the next 40 minutes hysterically bawling in a football stadium. (POOR JB of Norwich!) The train ride home from the game I was comatose. This was Step One of the mourning process. Shock and Isolation.

Step One is now complete. I did lock myself away for the past three days and avoided calling home. I may or may not still be covered in Doritos.

I am positive most of you bloggers are going through the five stages as well. Step Two is Anger which we have seen and heard from many of you. Step Three is Bargaining. "If only we had done this, then we could have..." Step Four is Depression. And Step Five is Acceptance. If you are feeling any of these, it is normal. I will not tell you which Step The Emm is on right now but I will hint that it is NO WHERE NEAR Step Five and she skipped Step Two and Step Three.

I will now open up the floor to questions:

"Emm! Emm! Does this mean you are an Islanders fan?"

Emm: No, it does not. I am an Oilers fan til the day I die. I bleed copper and blue (with a bit of red) and will cheer for them regardless.

"So does this mean you hate Ryan Smyth?"

Emm: Not at all. Ryan is my first love and he gave me twelve great years as an Edmonton Oiler. I still respect him as a player and will always love him. I have to be thankful that I was given those twelve years, which is rare in the hockey world. I have so many wonderful memories that he has given me. His heart for the game will never leave him, which is what first caught my attention when I was 14 years old. (Despite popular belief that it was his mullet!) He also never fails to wear his heart on his sleeve, something that he proved in his press conference as he spoke about how much he loves Edmonton and the Oilers organization. I am still Mrs. Smytty and will be Mrs. Smytty forever.

"Over here! Emm - what will you do with your Ryan Smyth jerseys?"

Emm: Great question Tina. If Ryan Smyth were a normal player for the Edmonton Oilers and got traded, I may look into supporting another Oilers number on my back. But as we all know, that is not the case. Ryan represents an era, a philosophy, and a time when the Oilers grabbed the hearts of millions. He is the Gretzky (in popularity, not skill) of my generation. I will still proudly wear my #94 jersey to the games, not as someone who got burnt and spent money on a jersey just to have the guy traded (sorry #44 jersey holders), but out of respect and memory for a time in our lives that is too valuable to let dust collect on it. This applies to all of my Smyth memorabilia as well.

"Emm! Are you mad at Kevin Lowe or Smytty for their stubbornness?"

Emm: I still feel it is too early to point fingers. In fact, I don't want to point any. Unless it is my Oilers #1 Jumbo Foam-finger. I am disappointed with the results of the agreement, obviously, but Lowe will always try to do what is best for the hockey club and Ryan will always try to do what is best for him as a player. I hope they remain friends despite any problems they faced during these dealings.

"Do you think Ryan will return to Edmonton in July when he is a free agent?"

Emm: Again, I would like more than ever to believe that this is not the last time we have seen Ryan Smyth in an Oilers uniform, but I don't want to get my hopes up. My heart has been broken and I don't think tricking it into believing something that may not be true is a good thing for it. I will wait and see what happens in July, and would love it more than ever if Ryan were to return to the City of Champions, but it is too soon to tell.

"Emm - who will be your favourite player now?"

Emm: I think it is too soon to move on. I love all of the Oilers individually and they all have a special place in my heart. We are all healing, together.

Any other questions?

16 Comments:

  • At 3:40 PM, March 02, 2007, Blogger El Oso said…

    What number does Schremp wear?

     
  • At 3:44 PM, March 02, 2007, Blogger Alberta Bound said…

    Thank you for this Emm. It is comforting to your public to hear you be so coherent. There were those who feared you might go out and shave your head.

    Great press conference under the circumstances.

    By the way: Cucumbers placed on the eyes while recumbent can often be a big help. They draw the puffiness from the eyes. Do it three times a day.

     
  • At 3:45 PM, March 02, 2007, Blogger Alberta Bound said…

    Also, I'm not sayin' but I'm just sayin': Torres and two first round picks to Tampa Bay for Lecavalier. Would that do it?

     
  • At 3:53 PM, March 02, 2007, Blogger Crazy Blogger Lady said…

    Me? I'm in Anger mode. This is my before photo. I've now pulled all my hair out! I'm with you Emm. A human travesty!

     
  • At 4:31 AM, March 03, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    First: a sheepish hello. 'hello.'

    Secondly: The Emm discovered the bad news in the worst possible location. My Fault.

    Thirdly: El Oso. Drop everything and become a sports journalist.

    Fourth: When a player leaves in his prime it's tragic. However, by going out at his best, Ryan has ensured that the fans will never have to deal with him slowing up, or losing sharpness and desire. He could have given the Oilers his entire career, but perhaps he had too much pride and to much dignity to play out his less youthful years? The king lion dosen't want the other lions to watch him weaken. Rather, when his time as king is up, he walks off to new pastures to let another take his place. In this way the pride/group remains strong.
    Perhaps on some level Ryan did this for the greater good of The Oilers? Perhaps he knew he was the beating heart of the team and worried that if he started to slow up he would risk draging them with him. Perhaps this is the most noble thing he could have done? Walk away. Alow someone to take his place. (The king is dead, long live the king...etc...)
    I'm sure it wasn't the money. $300,000 isn't a deal breaker for a player of his reputation and stature. I think he is trying to be instrumental in re-building The Oilers.

    On The Ball, City.

     
  • At 6:12 AM, March 03, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    CBL on the road - Honoured, J B - Maybe two sports journalists in the pride, as it were. Crazy! But great!

     
  • At 2:50 PM, March 03, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well done JB!!! WELCOME!!!

     
  • At 4:31 PM, March 03, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Em, I was shocked and appalled when I grabbed the metro on my way home from work and saw the headlines about Ryan. I immediately called Kristina to make sure you were still alive. You are putting on a very brave face -I'm very proud of you!
    By the way, I am coming to London April 11th -is there anything I can bring you from Canada to make this better?
    As Drew Barrymore once said in Ever After...'Just Breathe'

     
  • At 6:24 AM, March 04, 2007, Blogger El Oso said…

    JB, did you feel the same way when Fashanu left Norwich City?

     
  • At 4:51 PM, March 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great post Ebai. It is nice to see you back in action.

    I have to report to the Clan that I am at Step Five already with respect to my Petite AA Ringette Provincials. 1-5 Yikes! We tanked the first day and lost three games. NOT a great day. Then we played great, but lost another two. Shoot.

    At this point JP and I started eating candy to make ourselves feel better. The parents thought we were buying it for the kids. Yeah right.

    Then we smoked the worst team 9-1 to exit the tournament. It was 2-1 at the half and I was so mad at a group of 10 yr olds who thought they were working really hard. Fortunately we brought it together.

    Even better is that 10 yr olds have a 30 sec attention span and as a result forgot we tanked before they even left the dressing room.

    Not so for the coaches...

     
  • At 4:56 PM, March 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    CBL and JBooks; Thank-you.

    El Oso; Now you're showing off.


    OTBC

     
  • At 7:28 PM, March 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Though it was difficult for me, (I was actually hoping that when I asked if you wanted your mom to deliver the news you would say yes) I knew it was a million times harder for you. You were there for me when this happened to my guy, I was just returning the favour.

    Emm, it's been a privilege.

     
  • At 8:47 PM, March 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with alberta bound, and bags of tea also help on the eyes to reduce puffiness.

    You'll pull through this kid. Your tough like Chino.

    ~Juju

     
  • At 8:55 PM, March 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bold move jb of norwich.

    EO - What is the deal with March Madness? I am thinking about betting more of your money and wanted to spend it well this year.

     
  • At 3:10 PM, March 05, 2007, Blogger Kelly said…

    Welcome JB - what a brilliant inaugural comment!

    Glad to see that things are starting to look Emm. Was in Kingston this weekend and am happy to report that on a number of occaisons I got: "Hi Kelly, nice to see you. How is Emma?" Your fans have been concerned about your well-being at this very difficult time.

    Good question Red Leader. El Oso pre-trade day Emm and I had talked about doing our homework and picking a team for MM. We have obviously been a little pre-occupied and fallen behind. What's your take? Thoughts on UCLA or Ohio?

     
  • At 6:44 PM, March 05, 2007, Blogger Emm said…

    Linds - Excited you are coming to London! I will be in touch about Canadian goods to bring here. I'm thinking Pull and Peels!! Mmmmm!

    EO - Please help us out on the above post.

    Kellarious - Glad you had fun in K-town. Did you stop at Bubbas and tell them I said hi?

    Darb - You better believe that my Gucchi sunglasses (which I carry in my Chanel case with me EVERYWHERE) saved my life this week. Actually, they save my life every week.

    RL - Tough loss this weekend but I am glad candy helps. If you still feel pain, I reccommend Cool Ranch Doritos. They don't ease the pain but they taste good and make your tongue feel funny.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home