The Emm needs your support. We are all in this together. Please write here how you heard, what you know, what you feel, what you remember - everything and anything will help so when The Emm comes out of shock she will know what is going on. She is currently wearing black and her ...sniff...Smytty jersey....sniff....
She doesn't think there are any more tears to be shed tonight. She might be wrong.
Thank you for all your emails and texts but the most helpful thing now is to comment here.
There are no words, there are just emotions. I'm dealing with one broken heart with D....but the person I thought of immediately was you. I am too shocked to try and comfort, just numb with disbelief....
I have been living with an Oiler fanatic too long,
First I heard that he and Lowe had a handshake agreement that the Oil would sign him during the summer, and that he would effectively rent him out for the rest of the season since the Oil are going nowhere.
Then I heard that Smitty refused the Oil's offer with 20 mins to go to the deadline, and so Lowe just called up the Isle and dealt him, and that other GMs were upset cause they would have made a pitch and offered more. If the second story is true and he was traded in a fit of pique, forget about him wearing an Oilers jersey again. I tend to believe the latter story, since Lowe just did a deal with the Isles. He probably picked up the phone and dialed the last number he had called.
Me, I think it's a travesty. There's more to the game than money. And you know what, there's more to the game than winning (as any Leafs fan will tell you). I mean, at least in Canada, these guys represent their communities; people identify themselves based on their team. When you trade away the teams "identity", the "face of the team," it's not just a cliche, you are trading away part of the identity of the city. You lose a part of yourself, no matter how small. When Gretz was dealt, it was like you're a kid and someone died, a complete loss of innocence. By the time Messier was gone, I was inured to it a bit (so many had left before him). After the playoffs last year, my heart started to come back into it, and now I am reminded why I turned away in the first place.
Gretzky said this Nillson kid is supposed to be the best young talent in the game. But you know what, I don't care. Go Pistoles! I'm done.
Are you telling me that Kevin Lowe had the nerve to deal one of the key players of the Oil... Scratch that... SMYTTY!!! Not just any old player, but Smytty without consulting you first?
Pat had been keeping me posted throughout the day. I thought it was good news that we hadn't heard about any big trades yet - figured they had signed Smytty and it was going to be like any other day. Still, there was an uneasy feeling about the whole thing and before you could say "we signed him!" Lowe crushed our dreams with the push of a button... GD speed dial!
How are you holding up?
Have you consulted a doctor yet?
Is someone there to be with you in this time of crisis?
Well kiddo I don't think there are any words I can use to express my sympathy other then what I have said in the last 50 text messages and our chat. I am thinking of you though.
Well said el oso. I think that you have pretty much summed up what is problematic with the league.
Emm when I heard the news I felt sick to my stomach. I don't know what was worse... the fact that the Oil actually traded Ry or knowing how truly gutted you would be. I knew I had to do whatever I could to get a hold of you so I dropped all my work and reached for the mobile.
yeah, that really really sucks. i was listening to the radio on my way home from my night class and it said what a bad day it was for the oilers because of Ryan and being down 3-0 to the Coyotes, and I thought that maybe Ryan was injured or something until I got home and saw your blog. so it is definately not good news at all -it just sucks. my thoughts are with you!
Still hoping to get more discussions of Smy...uhhh..you know who ... out in these comments.
How is everyone else coping? Or rather not? I need to know how my public is.
The Emm is still in shock and is suffering from swollen face as she cried too hard yesterday. It's hard to think about it. It hasn't sunk in AT ALL.
A women stopped me on the street today (I went to the gym to try and run off my pain - it didn't work, so I got a Bucks instead). She said "You from Edmonton?" I thought maybe she could tell by my puffy face because maybe she too had been crying over Ryan, but realized it was my Oilers jacket that tipped her off. I said yes and asked if she followed hockey because Ryan had been traded. She said "Who?" I threw my Venti Earl Grey Tea Misto in her face. Well, actually I didn't. And I didn't even want to. I envied her.
Sorry for being a downer guys, but The Emm is sad.
Keep those comments coming! Let it out. Let it all out.
When I muster up the courage I will tell you all about how my night unfolded.
Okay, not to get too theoretical about all this (certainly not the proper forum), but I was talking to a colleague of mine who is a sports nut this morning and it got me riled up again. Sports exist on the illusion that the players and the organization care about winning for the same reasons that the fans care about winning. Fans want their team to win because they think it says something about their city and who they are (think of the Montreal papers referring to the Habs as "nos glorieux"). And the illusion is that the players play for the same reason. But trades like this dispel the illusion. You realize the organization cares about the bottom line and the player cares about money and, hopefully, winning -- but only for the sake of winning. And without the illusion you feel foolish. You think, "Why bother? Who cares about a bunch of grown men playing shinny?" Which is why the stands were 2/3 empty by the end of the game last night.
Smitty enabled this illusion like few other players -- whether or not he actually embodied the qualities his fans revere (the grittiness, the lack of flash), the fans imputed those qualities to him, and his history helped support this notion (stickboy for the team etc.). What Edmonton fan, having grown up in Edmonton didn't grow up thinking of playing for the Oilers? We assume based on his history -- and I think it's true -- that maybe Smitty wanted the Oilers to win because he felt it might say something about the city and the fans, and not just about the players on the ice. I think The Emm may have been precocious in seeing this in Smitty early on.
So for Kevin to trade him, well, it's a total betrayal. It's saying to the fans: those things you care about don't matter.
There was something almost patriotic about the Oilers resurgence last year, that has to be seen in the light of the boom in the province and the fact that their provincial rivals had also made the finals the year before. My feeling is the team was a unifying force in the city (see, e.g., stories of hometown boy from little Italy being the playoff hero etc.), a rallying point, which will make the disillusionment all the worse. Surely the town will recover, but only if we make a playoff run in '08. We're talking a year from now minimum. Maybe I am mis-reading things cause I'm far away, who knows.
This was a rash, rash, decision. The hearts of your fans are worth at least $300,000 a year.
I had "kind of" forgotten about the trade deadline yesterday because I was busy with school, but then I got this number on my cell phone that looked like this: 367251904903672176542942890 So I answered it and all I could hear was poor little Emm sobbing. INSTANTLY I just knew.
The day had come.
It was maybe the saddest over-seas phone call I had ever gotten.
I was thinking about you all weekend before this Emm. And I hopeyour holding up okay. But you just never know... this whole July re-sign thing could work out, and would make sense,and would save Lowe's a$$ in the end.
We honestly have to wait and see what the team looks like come Sept. If Smytty resigns then Lowe is a very smart man, and it was all a plan, and we got 3 bonus players to boot!
Just remember people, this is a business and Smyth has signed twice with us taking the "hometown discount" for US. I know people might say he is greedy or whatever if it turns into an issue abou money but you tell me this,
Say your making 1 million dollars a year and someone says to you, Hey wanna move to (insert citys name here) and make 2.5 million dollars? You tell me that you would actually say no. And thats the thing, people that dont make millions to play a sport they love have no idea what they would do until they actually lived that life.
Side notes: Kinda glad the whole Messier thing took away from the Smyth trade. The papers today had to share story-time. And wasnt it interesting that during the ceremony not once was Lowe's name mentioned, nor did he come out for the Boys on the Bus announcement? I think they just knew he'd get booed. Which is sad, but besides the point!
FEEL BETTER SOON EMM! And whoohoo- more trips to NYC!
Was on the phone just now with my old man, and he made a good point. If the difference was $300,000, Smitty is basically going to lose that in cost of living adjustments (Long Island v. Edmonton). The "hometown discount" isn't just "I'll take less money cause I love this team;" it's also I'll take less money cause it goes further here.
I only want to say 1 thing: I love Smytty, you know that Em. I also love Kev. I have put my faith in him for so long. I am at a loss. I can not bring myself to hate him because I feel that if I do, I am giving up on the Oilers organization and the players that remain. I need to hang on to my faith in him, otherwise I will have nothing left. I am confused and hurt and sad.
Killer line delivered by Smytty: "I still want to win the cup and will try to do that in NY, and if I do, I will bring it back to Edmonton because this is where my heart is." Sob.
Hey guys. I woke up this morning thinking "Be brave The Emm." I knew I was going to watch Ryan's press conference, something I avoided all day yesterday (along with calling home and leaving the house) becasue I wasn't emotionally ready. I was hoping to post a new blog and be strong and brave for Smytty who, after watching the press conference, obviously needs me. I also wanted to be brave for you bloggers but I just can't do it yet. I will try all day to do it, but please be patient.
I can't believe this happened.
Please note that I know what all of you are going through and The Emm is here for you all. (Please send some hugs her way too!)
I saw parts of the press conference this morning on the highlight reel. I must admit that even I welled up. I can't imagine how the Emm and the city of Edmonton are feeling right now.
Hi Emm - I will share with you what I remember from The Bear's rant by Yukon Jack, which sums it up nicely. He was saying that when times are great hockey the league talks about the joy of the game and the fans. When things are bad, they say it's a business. Is hockey a business when the entire Rexall place is standing and belting out their national anthem at the top of their lungs? Is it business when a whole city packs Whyte Ave. to high five every person on the street when we've won a game? Is it business when people are building oil rigs on the flatbeds of their trucks or 3/4 of the city have Oilers flags flying from thier car windows? Is it business when the fans are so loud in Rexall that it is louder than a plane? No - none of these things are business. Kevin Lowe screwed up and sold the heart & soul of the Oilers. The only thing comparable is if he turned around and sold Joey Moss. I think every word of this is true, Kevin Lowe just stomped on the hearts of the entire city along with Smytty. Emm- the feeling of the city is shock, anger and despair. How could they do this? They don't care about the important aspect of hockey, they are greedy. Those are my thoughts, Lisa Vic
Watched the press conference thing and it BROKE MY HEART to see Smytty & Stacey barely holding it together..and then losing it. So sad. Especially the, "This is my home" comment.
Emm I hope you are recovering decently. As in, sleeping and eating in moderation.(!!)
This may be too early to ask, and pardon me if it is but.. I know Smytty will always be your favorite Oiler but is there maybe a #2 in your heart that we can concentrate on when your ready to cheer you up a bit?
Sorry Sports sister but i cannot hate an oiler...especially now, when we are hurting the most. not in my blood. do i like what he did? hell no. not even close. but there is no way in this lifetime i will ever hate the guy who was the oiler's 1st draft pick and then scored the oiler's first ever goal. he bleeds the oilers colours as much as anyone in our history. go oilers.
30 Comments:
At 1:09 AM, February 28, 2007,
Emm said…
Please comment. Now, more than ever.
The Emm needs your support. We are all in this together. Please write here how you heard, what you know, what you feel, what you remember - everything and anything will help so when The Emm comes out of shock she will know what is going on. She is currently wearing black and her ...sniff...Smytty jersey....sniff....
She doesn't think there are any more tears to be shed tonight. She might be wrong.
Thank you for all your emails and texts but the most helpful thing now is to comment here.
Love The Emm's Management
At 1:13 AM, February 28, 2007,
Anonymous said…
AB - try to sleep.
At 1:15 AM, February 28, 2007,
Anonymous said…
Team BUKSA is all thinking of you. We have discussed it at length. Everyone sends their best.
Off to a 7:00 pm activity...
At 1:17 AM, February 28, 2007,
Anonymous said…
Drink, drink, drink! That always makes me feel better. I am thinking of you in this difficult time. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
At 1:40 AM, February 28, 2007,
Anonymous said…
Emma,
There are no words, there are just emotions. I'm dealing with one broken heart with D....but the person I thought of immediately was you. I am too shocked to try and comfort, just numb with disbelief....
I have been living with an Oiler fanatic too long,
but if there is anything I can do, let me know.
Always,
Charsy
At 1:46 AM, February 28, 2007,
El Oso said…
First I heard that he and Lowe had a handshake agreement that the Oil would sign him during the summer, and that he would effectively rent him out for the rest of the season since the Oil are going nowhere.
Then I heard that Smitty refused the Oil's offer with 20 mins to go to the deadline, and so Lowe just called up the Isle and dealt him, and that other GMs were upset cause they would have made a pitch and offered more. If the second story is true and he was traded in a fit of pique, forget about him wearing an Oilers jersey again. I tend to believe the latter story, since Lowe just did a deal with the Isles. He probably picked up the phone and dialed the last number he had called.
Me, I think it's a travesty. There's more to the game than money. And you know what, there's more to the game than winning (as any Leafs fan will tell you). I mean, at least in Canada, these guys represent their communities; people identify themselves based on their team. When you trade away the teams "identity", the "face of the team," it's not just a cliche, you are trading away part of the identity of the city. You lose a part of yourself, no matter how small. When Gretz was dealt, it was like you're a kid and someone died, a complete loss of innocence. By the time Messier was gone, I was inured to it a bit (so many had left before him). After the playoffs last year, my heart started to come back into it, and now I am reminded why I turned away in the first place.
Gretzky said this Nillson kid is supposed to be the best young talent in the game. But you know what, I don't care. Go Pistoles! I'm done.
At 3:00 AM, February 28, 2007,
Anonymous said…
Em, if I knew your address, I'd send you a card.
Look at the bright side -- at least he didn't get traded to the Maple Leafs.
Cheers,
Pat
At 3:02 AM, February 28, 2007,
Anonymous said…
Emm,
Are you telling me that Kevin Lowe had the nerve to deal one of the key players of the Oil... Scratch that... SMYTTY!!! Not just any old player, but Smytty without consulting you first?
Pat had been keeping me posted throughout the day. I thought it was good news that we hadn't heard about any big trades yet - figured they had signed Smytty and it was going to be like any other day. Still, there was an uneasy feeling about the whole thing and before you could say "we signed him!" Lowe crushed our dreams with the push of a button... GD speed dial!
How are you holding up?
Have you consulted a doctor yet?
Is someone there to be with you in this time of crisis?
Sincerely,
Heartbroken in Kamloops
Side note --> Pat has a point!
At 3:12 AM, February 28, 2007,
Kelly said…
Well kiddo I don't think there are any words I can use to express my sympathy other then what I have said in the last 50 text messages and our chat. I am thinking of you though.
Well said el oso. I think that you have pretty much summed up what is problematic with the league.
Emm when I heard the news I felt sick to my stomach. I don't know what was worse... the fact that the Oil actually traded Ry or knowing how truly gutted you would be. I knew I had to do whatever I could to get a hold of you so I dropped all my work and reached for the mobile.
You know my number: morning, noon or night.
At 3:12 AM, February 28, 2007,
Kelly said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
At 6:16 AM, February 28, 2007,
Anonymous said…
yeah, that really really sucks. i was listening to the radio on my way home from my night class and it said what a bad day it was for the oilers because of Ryan and being down 3-0 to the Coyotes, and I thought that maybe Ryan was injured or something until I got home and saw your blog. so it is definately not good news at all -it just sucks. my thoughts are with you!
At 2:54 PM, February 28, 2007,
Emm said…
Black Tuesday is becoming Black Wednesday.
Still hoping to get more discussions of Smy...uhhh..you know who ... out in these comments.
How is everyone else coping? Or rather not? I need to know how my public is.
The Emm is still in shock and is suffering from swollen face as she cried too hard yesterday. It's hard to think about it. It hasn't sunk in AT ALL.
A women stopped me on the street today (I went to the gym to try and run off my pain - it didn't work, so I got a Bucks instead). She said "You from Edmonton?" I thought maybe she could tell by my puffy face because maybe she too had been crying over Ryan, but realized it was my Oilers jacket that tipped her off. I said yes and asked if she followed hockey because Ryan had been traded. She said "Who?" I threw my Venti Earl Grey Tea Misto in her face. Well, actually I didn't. And I didn't even want to. I envied her.
Sorry for being a downer guys, but The Emm is sad.
Keep those comments coming! Let it out. Let it all out.
When I muster up the courage I will tell you all about how my night unfolded.
At 3:56 PM, February 28, 2007,
Alberta Bound said…
No comments ever again.
At 5:12 PM, February 28, 2007,
Darb said…
Kevin Lowe shoots da poop!
At 6:46 PM, February 28, 2007,
El Oso said…
Okay, not to get too theoretical about all this (certainly not the proper forum), but I was talking to a colleague of mine who is a sports nut this morning and it got me riled up again. Sports exist on the illusion that the players and the organization care about winning for the same reasons that the fans care about winning. Fans want their team to win because they think it says something about their city and who they are (think of the Montreal papers referring to the Habs as "nos glorieux"). And the illusion is that the players play for the same reason. But trades like this dispel the illusion. You realize the organization cares about the bottom line and the player cares about money and, hopefully, winning -- but only for the sake of winning. And without the illusion you feel foolish. You think, "Why bother? Who cares about a bunch of grown men playing shinny?" Which is why the stands were 2/3 empty by the end of the game last night.
Smitty enabled this illusion like few other players -- whether or not he actually embodied the qualities his fans revere (the grittiness, the lack of flash), the fans imputed those qualities to him, and his history helped support this notion (stickboy for the team etc.). What Edmonton fan, having grown up in Edmonton didn't grow up thinking of playing for the Oilers? We assume based on his history -- and I think it's true -- that maybe Smitty wanted the Oilers to win because he felt it might say something about the city and the fans, and not just about the players on the ice. I think The Emm may have been precocious in seeing this in Smitty early on.
So for Kevin to trade him, well, it's a total betrayal. It's saying to the fans: those things you care about don't matter.
There was something almost patriotic about the Oilers resurgence last year, that has to be seen in the light of the boom in the province and the fact that their provincial rivals had also made the finals the year before. My feeling is the team was a unifying force in the city (see, e.g., stories of hometown boy from little Italy being the playoff hero etc.), a rallying point, which will make the disillusionment all the worse. Surely the town will recover, but only if we make a playoff run in '08. We're talking a year from now minimum. Maybe I am mis-reading things cause I'm far away, who knows.
This was a rash, rash, decision. The hearts of your fans are worth at least $300,000 a year.
At 6:47 PM, February 28, 2007,
El Oso said…
In other words, Kevin Lowe shoots da poop.
At 6:57 PM, February 28, 2007,
Emm said…
El Oso - Hold me.
At 7:17 PM, February 28, 2007,
Darb said…
Kevin Lowe shoots da smelly stinky poop!
At 10:53 PM, February 28, 2007,
Anonymous said…
Here's my story....
I had "kind of" forgotten about the trade deadline yesterday because I was busy with school, but then I got this number on my cell phone that looked like this: 367251904903672176542942890
So I answered it and all I could hear was poor little Emm sobbing. INSTANTLY I just knew.
The day had come.
It was maybe the saddest over-seas phone call I had ever gotten.
I was thinking about you all weekend before this Emm. And I hopeyour holding up okay. But you just never know... this whole July re-sign thing could work out, and would make sense,and would save Lowe's a$$ in the end.
We honestly have to wait and see what the team looks like come Sept. If Smytty resigns then Lowe is a very smart man, and it was all a plan, and we got 3 bonus players to boot!
Just remember people, this is a business and Smyth has signed twice with us taking the "hometown discount" for US. I know people might say he is greedy or whatever if it turns into an issue abou money but you tell me this,
Say your making 1 million dollars a year and someone says to you, Hey wanna move to (insert citys name here) and make 2.5 million dollars? You tell me that you would actually say no. And thats the thing, people that dont make millions to play a sport they love have no idea what they would do until they actually lived that life.
Side notes: Kinda glad the whole Messier thing took away from the Smyth trade. The papers today had to share story-time. And wasnt it interesting that during the ceremony not once was Lowe's name mentioned, nor did he come out for the Boys on the Bus announcement? I think they just knew he'd get booed. Which is sad, but besides the point!
FEEL BETTER SOON EMM! And whoohoo- more trips to NYC!
-Juju
At 12:41 AM, March 01, 2007,
El Oso said…
Was on the phone just now with my old man, and he made a good point. If the difference was $300,000, Smitty is basically going to lose that in cost of living adjustments (Long Island v. Edmonton). The "hometown discount" isn't just "I'll take less money cause I love this team;" it's also I'll take less money cause it goes further here.
At 1:15 AM, March 01, 2007,
Rick said…
my sympathy goes to you and the rest of family!
At 4:04 AM, March 01, 2007,
Anonymous said…
I only want to say 1 thing: I love Smytty, you know that Em. I also love Kev. I have put my faith in him for so long. I am at a loss. I can not bring myself to hate him because I feel that if I do, I am giving up on the Oilers organization and the players that remain. I need to hang on to my faith in him, otherwise I will have nothing left. I am confused and hurt and sad.
Killer line delivered by Smytty: "I still want to win the cup and will try to do that in NY, and if I do, I will bring it back to Edmonton because this is where my heart is." Sob.
At 10:59 AM, March 01, 2007,
Emm said…
Hey guys. I woke up this morning thinking "Be brave The Emm." I knew I was going to watch Ryan's press conference, something I avoided all day yesterday (along with calling home and leaving the house) becasue I wasn't emotionally ready. I was hoping to post a new blog and be strong and brave for Smytty who, after watching the press conference, obviously needs me. I also wanted to be brave for you bloggers but I just can't do it yet. I will try all day to do it, but please be patient.
I can't believe this happened.
Please note that I know what all of you are going through and The Emm is here for you all. (Please send some hugs her way too!)
At 2:09 PM, March 01, 2007,
Kelly said…
HERE'S A HUGE HUG COMING YOUR WAY.
I saw parts of the press conference this morning on the highlight reel. I must admit that even I welled up. I can't imagine how the Emm and the city of Edmonton are feeling right now.
At 5:46 PM, March 01, 2007,
Anonymous said…
Hi Emm - I will share with you what I remember from The Bear's rant by Yukon Jack, which sums it up nicely.
He was saying that when times are great hockey the league talks about the joy of the game and the fans.
When things are bad, they say it's a business.
Is hockey a business when the entire Rexall place is standing and belting out their national anthem at the top of their lungs? Is it business when a whole city packs Whyte Ave. to high five every person on the street when we've won a game?
Is it business when people are building oil rigs on the flatbeds of their trucks or 3/4 of the city have Oilers flags flying from thier car windows?
Is it business when the fans are so loud in Rexall that it is louder than a plane?
No - none of these things are business. Kevin Lowe screwed up and sold the heart & soul of the Oilers. The only thing comparable is if he turned around and sold Joey Moss.
I think every word of this is true, Kevin Lowe just stomped on the hearts of the entire city along with Smytty.
Emm- the feeling of the city is shock, anger and despair. How could they do this? They don't care about the important aspect of hockey, they are greedy.
Those are my thoughts,
Lisa Vic
At 6:21 PM, March 01, 2007,
Darb said…
I love Lisa Vic.
At 8:26 PM, March 01, 2007,
Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said…
Did some Canadians lose a soccer match?
At 8:32 PM, March 01, 2007,
Darb said…
Pearce get over the Kevin thing..he shoots da poop!Seriously
At 1:34 AM, March 02, 2007,
Anonymous said…
Watched the press conference thing and it BROKE MY HEART to see Smytty & Stacey barely holding it together..and then losing it. So sad. Especially the, "This is my home" comment.
Emm I hope you are recovering decently. As in, sleeping and eating in moderation.(!!)
This may be too early to ask, and pardon me if it is but.. I know Smytty will always be your favorite Oiler but is there maybe a #2 in your heart that we can concentrate on when your ready to cheer you up a bit?
-Juju
At 7:24 AM, March 02, 2007,
Anonymous said…
Sorry Sports sister but i cannot hate an oiler...especially now, when we are hurting the most. not in my blood. do i like what he did? hell no. not even close. but there is no way in this lifetime i will ever hate the guy who was the oiler's 1st draft pick and then scored the oiler's first ever goal. he bleeds the oilers colours as much as anyone in our history. go oilers.
Post a Comment
<< Home