The Emm.

EK took the UK. Now It's up to me to finish the job.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

What's Up, Dock?

Tail Docking.

It's a term used for the intentional removal of an animal's tail and it is common in dog breeding. Now I know it may sound cruel but docking originates back to the Roman Times, and as we all know, if something happened that far back, it can't be cruel. For example, the Roman Empire - name me one bad thing they did.

Exactly.

Now, the reasoning behind tail docking is so that for working dogs, dogs that hunt or work in the field, it can prevent injury and diseases that they may get from their environment and prey.

Many types of dogs are bred to have a docked tail including the Dobermans, Boxers, and of course...

THE OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG!!!

How cute is this picture? I found it through google image and it is just a coincidence that she is named after my main care-taker as a child, Daisy.

I recently discovered something about tail docking from watching the news (it must have been on in the background as I was youtubing something while blogging and text messaging my friends about our ipods and camera phones). As of 2007, it will be illegal to dock tails for dogs and it seems to be a BIG controversy for dog lovers and breeders around the world.

So the years of cute little nubbens as tails on dogs will be long gone. I'm sad for the Old English Sheepdog as their nubbens were so little and cute, but I'm sure the Dog Lovers On Safety, Environment and Rights Society know what they are doing.

This now brings me to my next point of my list of things I need to accomplish before I die.

1. Own an Old English Sheepdog and name it Daisy.

2. Own the Edmonton Oilers.

3. Go to the Brier.

4. End of list.

8 Comments:

  • At 3:21 PM, March 10, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So who agrees....Old English Sheepdogs are THE BEST DOGS IN THE WHOLE WORLD.

    Heart breaking!!!!

     
  • At 4:27 PM, March 10, 2007, Blogger Alberta Bound said…

    Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhh...

    By the front desk of the Courtyard Marriott, I sat down and wept.

    After reading a certain review in the Guardian today, I was wiping the tears from my eyes with my sleeve. Not the book, but just the review made we weep again over those women.

    Now this....Old English Sheepdogs.

    It is somewhat embarrassing.

     
  • At 4:34 PM, March 10, 2007, Blogger Crazy Blogger Lady said…

    There is supposed to be no crying in curling! Silly!

     
  • At 6:58 PM, March 10, 2007, Blogger Emm said…

    I don't think I am ever going to blog again so that from now on everytime I check my blog I see these pictures!

    These dogs are SO CUTE!

    I miss Daisy...

     
  • At 3:44 AM, March 11, 2007, Blogger Kelly said…

    You should miss Daisy. That dog taught you everything you know.

    Funny/gross story: Laura and I were having a romantical date watching the Departed. Getting really into the movie, lights are down low and all of a sudden there is a gurgling. Cat vom. Lucky is one sick cat. We're concerned.

     
  • At 3:50 PM, March 11, 2007, Blogger Emm said…

    Kel - you speak as if Daisy WAS a dog! How silly! She was the only adult capable of taking care of me in my youth as Jan consumed herself with sports which was much more time consuming THEN (believe it or not) as she didn't have access to satellite tv or sat. radio.

    I also don't want to discredit Jenna from raising me but it must have been difficult to do so starting at the age of three. She did her best though.

    Daisy did have one thing over Jenna though, and that was her listening skills. Sometimes Daisy didn't always say the best thing to make me feel better but she would always listen to me. What a girl! And we both loved to sit at the front door and wait for Jan to come home...

     
  • At 8:16 PM, March 11, 2007, Blogger Emm said…

    Oh dear...

     
  • At 4:09 AM, March 21, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Emm, this dog is in my top 5 dogs I need to own!!!

    1.Chihuahua- check!
    2.Wheaton Terrier
    3.Old English Sheepdog
    4.German Sheppard
    5.Llaso/Appso Cross

    -Juju

    PS. His predetermined name is, "Winston."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home