The Emm.

EK took the UK. Now It's up to me to finish the job.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I am the dumbest person I have ever met.



Last night I decided to make it a quiet night in, so I rented Kung Fu Hustle - a movie that many of my friends have told me I would LOVE.

I knew the premise of the movie was a bit weird and that it was a stylized piece of Kung -Fu meets absurd cinema so I went in with a very open mind - maybe too open.

The movie is obviously in Cantonese so before the film I clicked "English subtitles". The movie began and the first scene had no subtitles - it was all in Cantonese. It was a very physical scene and the actors had a lot of gestures so I just assumed this was on purpose and kept watching. I understood most of what was going on. (Not so much because of my high school Cantonese lessons but more so because of my advanced Charades skills.)

The credits came on and everything that was written was re-written as an English subtitle so I knew the subtitles were working and I was just a bit confused as to why the first scene hadn't been translated. The second scene of the movie began, and it was the same thing - no English subtitles.

I re-clicked the subtitles option just to make sure that everything was working and when I returned to the movie, it was still all spoken in Cantonese. Since this was a weird movie, I then just thought this was on purpose. Maybe my friends knew I would love how weird this movie was, despite the fact that I had no idea what was going on. Finally after forty long minutes of watching a Cantonese movie with a lot of laughs (which is impressive for a movie you can't understand), I did some research and discovered that my subtitles menu just wasn't working. I opened the movie in a different program (I was watching on my computer) and finally I could understand what was going on. I am a bit embarrassed that it took me forty minutes to figure this out. I re-watched the beginning of the movie on fast forward, exercising my speed-reading skills, and then continued watching the film. It really was funny and I recommend it to anyone - especially if your subtitles are working!

Here is a clip from the movie. Now imagine watching it without subtitles - you can see how it is STILL funny!

6 Comments:

  • At 2:34 PM, March 07, 2007, Blogger Kelly said…

    I'm not judging you. Would I openly tell that story on my blog? No. Do you regret it? Yes.

    But to be honest, if I actually admitted to all the stupid things I did in a day I would totally lose my street cred. I mean... Sure it takes me a minimum of three attempts and multiple spillage to get the lid on my travel mug at the Bucks in the morning. Most people would learn to take a sip first, however, I like the challenge.

    Thanks for the the clarification JB of Norwich.

    Only 72 more sleeps until I am back in Ldiggity.

     
  • At 3:00 PM, March 07, 2007, Blogger Emm said…

    72????

    AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

    KELLARNIOUS - This city NEEDS you. Mostly your pancakes and rainbow bit cake with rainbow bit icing!!! But if you can make it too, that would be great!

    Make the time fly by!!!!

     
  • At 4:29 PM, March 07, 2007, Blogger Darb said…

    NANANANANANA Only 6 more sleeps for me!!!

     
  • At 7:07 PM, March 07, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hold on..you watched the film AND read it at the same time?

     
  • At 11:18 PM, March 07, 2007, Blogger Emm said…

    Thank you for your posting Farris. You make a valid point which leads me to many other questions:

    Or does us?

    Are they be?

    These are questions one might never no.

     
  • At 4:06 AM, March 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wait a minute.....my goodness Emm, congratulation on learning to read! When did that happen?? I figured you hated reading because you didn't know how....I doubt Daisy ever had time to teach you...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home